• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Snapper won't throttle up

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbagley

displayname
vern bagley
got a snapper im working on with a k-series kohler engine.replaced the points,condenser,plug,wire,coil,new fuel,new carburetor from kohler,fuel filter and went through the wiring everything is correct.okay it runs at idle when you throttle it up it spits gas out the carb and blows black smoke you throttle it down it idles fine,have adjusted carb(i am really good at carbs)..does anyone have any suggestions or do i park it behind the garage?i am at my witts end with this one.any help i would appreciate it thanks,Vern

Vern I think you have a valve problem or a timing problem. I would static time and adjust valves.

thanks for the advice Luther but i just checked them valves and weren't to far off i adjusted them anyways and still the same thing.i am now thinking maybe the keyway on the flywheel but that will take some time and if its not i did a ton of work for nothing,but just me thinking!

Vern: You may be on the right track. The impression I got from reading the Kohler Service Manual is that ignition coil motors (the ones that need "timing") can have problems at the crank. The Magnum motors not so much because the timing event is almost always close enough to prevent damage. In other words, timing is not an issue for an engine equipped with a magneto whereas it is for an engine equipped with a coil.

That being said, most of the times I've experienced issues at the crank shaft was because of sloppy mechanical work, as in not getting the nut torqued down properly. This applies more to the B&S motors than to the Kohlers, though.

I hope you get it running. Realize that this is a test, the machine is female in gender and wants to see how much she can get out of you before she lets you ride her.
smile.gif

Note: No offence intended toward the fairer sex, just offering a view from the male perspective.
happy.gif

Thanks Jeremiah i'll look at that before i have to pull the engine to look at the key

checked the timing on the snapper and when you line up the S in the sight hole the points do not start opening till you turn the engine over past that position,books states they should open when the S is in the sight hole,took motor off and checked flywheel key all is good so i have exhausted everything i know what to do,also put new head gasket on and torqued.

Vern: Have you set the timing with a voltmeter? Matt Gonitzke posted instructions on his website and there may be something in the FAQS. Basically, you should lose continuity as soon as the "S" or "T" rolls into view. It sounds to me as if the timing may be retarded. Also, the actuating pin can wear shortening the duration or "dwell" time for the coil which affects its performance. If you can't get the points to open quickly enough with a gap of 0.024" I would consider replacing the push rod for the points.

Vern: Here is the link to Matt's website (I was on my phone earlier): "Matt Gonitizke's Web Page". If you click on the "How To" button on the left side of the screen it will take you to a page from which you can download Matt's PDF file on setting the static time on a K-Series Kohler. He states that you should be able to see the "S" centered in the hole when the ohm meter goes open. Based on your description, yours may be OK, but this is one way to eliminate ignition timing as the cause of your problem.

The other "timing" issue is the valves; that is, whether the valves are opening and closing correctly in relation to the piston's travel. If the engine has been apart, this may be an issue; but if you haven't taken it apart (or the person before you hasn't taken it apart), then I wouldn't worry about it.

It seems to me that people have had the carb spitting back at them before, and it turned out to be a leaky float. If you haven't replaced the float, I think it would be worth a shot. If you're not sure, you can test the one you have before "investing" in a new one.

I'm like you, there isn't much more that can't be wrong system-wise, so something must have been missed in earlier assessments. Details, details, details.

I think you'll get it.

Did the voltmeter check and has a brand new kohler carb,the float is set right as well,the next thing would be the pin that opens the points.i'm thinking that would be the only thing left its just odd cause i am good at trouble shooting but this one is grinding my gears!thanks guys i'll try it and recheck once again..

Back