• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Snagged this yesterday on a whim

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
On FB for $300
2013 GTX2154 w/300 hrs on the clock.
Came with 54" fab deck, extra set of belts and a full tank of gas
Owner said it started smoking badly and he was not kidding.
Any help troubleshooting this one would be greatly appreciated.
Thought it would be a good parts tractor for my 2011 GTX2154LE but, engine condition aside it's in really good shape and too nice to part out.

Attachments

• DSCN8775.JPG
    DSCN8775.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN8776.JPG
    DSCN8776.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN8777.JPG
    DSCN8777.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN8778.JPG
    DSCN8778.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN8772.JPG
    DSCN8772.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 185
How is the oil level? How long did you run as it may have oil in the muffler from overfilling. it.

I remember reading something about thee newer ones, along the lines of what Lewis is asking, that it is fairly easy for oil to get into the intake side of the engine. These newer engine have a “PCV System” and the crankcase vent is routed into the intake and a overfill, or even an off camber position can make them smoke. I saw a video of a newer Cub that a fella was driving through his yard and depending on which way he steered, would make it smoke or not. I think there may be a baffle in the rocker cover to help prevent this, but they can fall off or something along those lines. This is just from passing in reading on one of the FB groups…. so please do you research (which I know you will). because the only experience I have with a newer Cub is my brand new ZTR and I have changed the oil once, and fed it gas…… so no really work on that new Kohler.

Owner said he thought his Mom had run it low on oil and that is whey it started smoking like that.

I do not know any more than that other than the oil level NOW is correct and it appears that the filter has been changed recently.

Guess I should start by removing the muffler and see if there is more oil in it??
It starts fine but almost immediately will start to smoke.

Before you run it see if it has comp. in both cylinders, if ok, then run it for a few minutes and see if it clears up, preferably when it is dusk when the skeeters come out.

David, I had a similar situation with that engine. Somehow(?) a small brass nut got in the cyl and broke the top ring..lot of clean up filing and new rings and it was fine...If it's the same one, right beside the carb is a breather cover that has what looks like plastic wool in it.It was totally desinigrated and plugged the opening..I replaced it with steel mesh pot scrubber....that engine should be good for a thousand hours unless it was seriously overheated... Lewis is right ,check comp. I know it has a comp release but you'll still get readings..

Blown head gasket will cause it to dump tons of oil overboard through the crankcase breather and into the intake, but I'm not sure it'd move enough oil through there to make it smoke like that.

It maybe the rings stuck and need to run a quart of dextron trans fluid through the carb in the intake to clean up the piston rings and valves and reduce the head carbon clean out the old gas and start using non-ethanol premium it will help, the only cleaner to work great in top end is trans solvent, nothing else SIR !!!! The deal you got looks like a great one 👍👍👍

The crankcase breather, probably part of the PCV system . As someone else said can get mucked up. I’m not familiar with the new Kohler engines. But many small engines have what looks like reed valves in the crankcase breather that can break or get stuck. Also pull the spark plugs & see if only 1 or both show signs of oil. If only 1 you probably have a problem with that 1 cylinder. Cracked piston, stuck ring, or something with the intake valve

Ran the unit at near WOT for a few minures and drove it around some. Smoked like crazy for a bit then almost stopped drove it around a bit and let it set at 1/2 throttle. it would smoke and then quit, smoke some and quit.
Drove down a little slope and it would quit, drove back up onto the level and it would start to smoke again.
Did compression check when hot
160# on the right6 bank and 155 on the left.
I don't think it is rings at this point.
PCV reeds maybe?
Down loaded the CH-680 service manual and will have to dig into that I guess.
Film at eleven....no...wait, I already did that!!

Hahaha - just how the heck does the kit work? Drip the ddt on the muffler or something???

I once had an air cooled engine seize an intake valve to the guide. Once the guide began moving in the head, rather than valve inside valve guide. It began sucking large amounts of oil to the cylinder. When all repaired I also figured out the engine had been running lean on air fuel mixture.

Here's another, similar brand, the Blitz Fogger. All I have is this photo however.

Blitz_Fogger.jpg

Back