• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Simplicity 6516

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Middleton

Anyone know anything about these? My friend has this and he said it was the best cutting mower he's ever had but now it has no spark. It's an opposed Briggs twin... I can get it pretty cheap I think and I'm hoping to get the ZT running for the GF so she's distracted and I can drag this one home too... :)

Attachments

• 20210522_195649.jpg
    20210522_195649.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 179
David, it seems the older the tractor the more likely wiring becomes an issue. My method,unplug the harness connector jump direct to starter post.When it cranks it should show spark.If it does you have an issue in wiring,probably kill wire to coil is grounding somewhere(mice love hidden wires).Remove shroud, unplug kill from coil,hook harness connectors together and crank.If it sparks you have your answer.If it still doesn't spark you could assume the coil is bad.Putting new coil on use a piece of microfich for gap.That's 7 to 10 thousands,used it for many yrs. Those twin Briggs have been around a long time and usually the only thing that goes bad is the fuel pump diaphram on the front of the carb.

I would go ahead and buy it. Those Briggs opposed twins are pretty reliable engines. Depending on the age, it may or may not have points and condenser under the flywheel. It may also have a single coil with dual output plug wires, or 2 coils on opposite ends of the flywheel.

As Gary mentioned above, do a test disconnecting the kill wire from the coil(s) and see if it has spark. The coils do somewhat commonly go bad on those engines, although sometimes I have luck just giving them a good cleaning. Fortunately there are many replacements available, whether genuine Briggs and Stratton or an aftermarket. Either would work just fine.

Single coil 2 wires coming out, it has MAGNATRON ignition I sold those new they mowed beautiful, I would recommend the Briggs factory coil if it continues to not have any spark after ground wire is removed.

I've worked on a couple -both ended up having bad ignition switches -a little complicated how the wired the interlock if I remember right -but disconnecting the kill wire is definitely the starting point!

Latest posts

Back