• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Simplicity 4041?????

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

IHCC Supporter
I have an opportunity at a Simplicity 4041 tractor. I remember the platform fondly from my youth though we really only used it as tug.

This one has the bucket AND a back hoe.

Now I know, all you *easterners* (anyone the wrong side:ROFLMAO: of the Continental Divide) can score these at will for 20 bucks and a bag of M&Ms but out here, an opening price of $3,500 seems OK to start my haggling.

Any thoughts as to the model and what I might ought to look for on it?

Regards, Todd.

I had the Allis Chalmers version of that, the model 620. Mine had the cat-0 three point and an Ark 600 loader. The Onan engine was nothing but trouble. The governor is a weak point as is the points setup. I sold mine back in late 2019. I loved the looks and the size but it really needed power steering for proper loader work and that previously mentioned Onan engine really left a lot to be desired.

KRAIG - I apologize, You're beginning to sound like ME in your dislike of the Onan engines. I agree completely on the Onan governor being a bad design. Works fine when first started and engine cold, but hot summer days, mowing longer than normal grass the engine gets hot, that plastic 10 finger wheel expands and slips on the hub of the cam gear, plastic expands three to five times as much as iron depending on type of plastic, so engine won't respond to increases in load, engine just slows down, but move the throttle to wide open and it speeds up.
And who thought putting ignition points actually INSIDE the crankcase of the engine was a good thing, I've removed points assemblies that looked like they had been dropped in a can of heavy gear oil like 90 weight. Last set of new points & condensor I bought was well over $100. The condensor is the usual imported junk even if you buy from Cummins, engine runs O-K about 40 hours and starts cutting out, sputtering. Not sure why I bought the $106 vacuum operated fuel pump but my Onan mysteriously died one day, wouldn't restart, new fuel pump fixed it. I never had the intake manifold problem where the thin steel top that's glued to the die casting comes loose and one cylinder nearest the leak runs lean till it stops firing. I have heard that the stellite exhaust valve seats can over-heat, expand, and fall out of the block with disastrous results.
I joined Weekend Freedom Machines forum strictly to see what problems Deere owners were having with their Onan's. IH Cub Cadet 982 was the only Onan IH used. Super Garden tractors afterwards all got Kohler's I think. Small Engine WAREHOUSE borrowed a picture of MY 982 sitting in MY yard on their website years ago but wouldn't make me a deal on a new Briggs or Honda or Kawasaki engine. Wouldn't take much to get me to replace that Onan with something else.

I have an AC620. Replaced the onan with a 16hp Vanguard about 10-11 years ago. Easy conversion. The Vanny will eat an onan for lunch and not even break a sweat. Way better on gas too. Actually all of the opposed twins have issues.

I have an AC620. Replaced the onan with a 16hp Vanguard about 10-11 years ago. Easy conversion. The Vanny will eat an onan for lunch and not even break a sweat. Way better on gas too. Actually all of the opposed twins have issues.
Interesting point on replacement should it come to that for me.

I went to see it and we worked the thing a bit and was quite pleased. It has a Danco bucket and a Brantly backhoe and both worked fine under load. I figure the weight of the backhoe will go a ways to alleviating a previously noted need for power steering when using the loader - that - and I'm seldom in mud or excessively loose soil here in Arizona.

I note that I will most certainly need a right-head cooling duct tin as it has a cobbed-up replacement and heat is of course an issue here. So, any insight on replacement parts or the best Simplicity forum to join would be greatly appreciated.

I generally like to join forums upon recommendations rather than hit&miss. I ended up here based upon supporting suggestions from my Moto Guzzi forum and my Land Rover forum so any advice would be appreciated on a Simplicity forum.

Regards, Todd.

Interesting point on replacement should it come to that for me.

I went to see it and we worked the thing a bit and was quite pleased. It has a Danco bucket and a Brantly backhoe and both worked fine under load. I figure the weight of the backhoe will go a ways to alleviating a previously noted need for power steering when using the loader - that - and I'm seldom in mud or excessively loose soil here in Arizona.

I note that I will most certainly need a right-head cooling duct tin as it has a cobbed-up replacement and heat is of course an issue here. So, any insight on replacement parts or the best Simplicity forum to join would be greatly appreciated.

I generally like to join forums upon recommendations rather than hit&miss. I ended up here based upon supporting suggestions from my Moto Guzzi forum and my Land Rover forum so any advice would be appreciated on a Simplicity forum.

Regards, Todd.

Here's a link what used to be the best forum for Simplicity and Allis Chalmers:

Simple Tractors

Well, it has a new home and plenty of work here in Phoenix.

Runs pretty darn good for being 50 years old with 4,000 hours.
BFDFAE34-6AB9-4C74-A039-060ADDE57319.jpeg

Todd.

Latest posts

Back