• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Simple homebuilt rear weights?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
Art stated he has 100 pounds on each wheel, he just stacked 4 weights on the outside of the rear wheel like to the 2 rear wheel weights on my 122 in this picture.
69608.jpg

This picture shows 2 25lb wheel weights on the outside if the wheel. It also has 1 on the inside. for a total of 75 pounds, plus the tire is filled with windshield washer fluid. If I remember correctly it weighs about 145 pounds. If you have an internal brake transmission on your cub you can put 1 25 pound weight on the inside of the wheel.

Here is another pic of Andy Van Wetterling with several weights stacked on his 782D.
69609.jpg

For snow plowing or blowing this winter I will add about 120 more pounds to the back like the black & yellow weights in this picture below.
69610.jpg

Dave M
This is how I managed to gain 100lbs per tire
1 50# weight like this on the out side
69621.jpg

and 1 50# weight like seened here mounted on the inside of the rim,
69622.jpg

Thanks Lonny and Vince. I think I'm going to need at least 100 lbs per rear wheel. Today I removed the mower deck and put on the snowblower. Now the rear is really light (no weight in the milk crate yet).

The factory weight bar and suitcase weights are starting to look pretty good dispite the $$!!!

Dave-
I hate to say that a guy is wrong, but you know that Vince T. guy who said that I stack 4 sets of cub cadet weights to get 100lbs per wheel?.....Well, he's wrong...
happy.gif

My prefered method of getting #100 per wheel is with these weights. They weigh #100 each!

69686.jpg

I don't know how to get more because they came with my first cub and although I've seen them on other people's tractors before, I've never been able to buy another set. (I'd love to find another set though!)

The other way I've done it is to use a set of the "Bolens" wheel weights like Lonnie pictured below with 2 sets of <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet weights stacked over the top of those, like this:
69687.jpg

Vince forgets that I couldn't stack 4 sets of Cub Cadet wheel weights on my tractor if I wanted to, because HE HAS ALL OF MY EXTRA WEIGHTS!!!!!!
bash.gif

<font size="-2">Hint-Vince, hint-Vince, hint-Vince....</font>
happy.gif

...one more thought for you Dave.

I don't mean to stick my nose in someone else's business, but I really think you may want to re-think your idea to use a plastic milk crate to hold enough weight for your tractor to work well in the snow.

I'm sure the dollar bills grow on your local trees just as poorly as they do around here and you're trying to save wherever you can, but lets think this through for a minute..

You paid "how much" for the tractor? ...and another "how much" for the snowblower? ....and now you're going to skimp on the weight, which is in my opinion, one of the most important parts of your tractor working well in the snow?!?!?!?

Figure out a way to bite the bullet and buy some real rear weight that won't fall to pieces when you're trying to move 10" of snow. That's the worst time to figure out that your set-up is flawed. Get the weights, and some chains on your tires and call it "done".

You won't regret it.....
happy.gif

Dave,
Here is an idea in this pic below, my dad bought these 25lb barbell weights up for something like $15 and cut out for the valve stem and drilled holes.
69756.jpg

Or maybe a nice neighbor down the road has a set or 2 that you can borrow... There are many uses for them. I wonder when I should return the 2 sets I have borrowed. They do come in handy.
69757.jpg

Here they are before I painted them.
69758.jpg

Here are some borrowed weights in Iowa 1 1/2 years ago.
69759.jpg

Art: I pretty much agree with your comments (wish my wife had the same view!). I got a good deal on the tractor/mower/snowblower package but I stretched my available funds to get it. I wanted to get the most tractor I could for my money and figured I could fill in the "little" things (like weights and chains) later.

It turns out that I had a set of chains that fit, so the weights are next. I have my eyes peeled for weights locally and I still have the "ask Dad" option....

Are wheel weights pretty universal as long as rim size is the same (12" in my case)? Will any year CC work? JD, Sears, others?

I use 10 pound weights to make my weights. There is 60 pounds plus the 10.50s ags are full of fluid.
69958.jpg

Here is tha way weights mount to rim:
69959.jpg

Top view:
69960.jpg

Side view:
69961.jpg

Weights cost $5-$6 for a 10 pound weight at Kentucky Ken favorite place. Someone was selling the cross piece minus the threaded rod a few years ago. Not sure if the party is still selling them. I use this system on 3 Cubs.

Back