• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Should I clear use a clear coat

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twthompson

displayname
Tim Thompson
I am getting ready to repaint my 1282 (is a red one). Do you guys recommend the use of a clear coat? If so, what do you recommend and how many coats? Thanks.

I have but usually don't. I think a good acrylic enamel with an activator (hardener) works well. Preparation before priming and painting is very important. I think clear coating will raise the cost of doing the job and clear coats can be a little tricky to apply without getting runs (you need a good spray gun for clears). Whatever you decide take your time and have fun with it.

There is really no advantage to clear coating a solid color. With Metallics it is easier to get the metal flakes to be uniform but that isn't an issue with solid colors. So don't waste your money. A single stage urethane will be just as durable and look just as good.

i work for a tractor restoration business and we clear everything. single stage paint has little uv protection and will begin to fade after a few years. that is where clear comes in, it will protect the paint from the sun as well as provide a durable finish. just make sure the clear you get is compatable with the enamel you buy. you can check out my work at arthurstractors.com

Tim A.
I have to disagree with you on this one.
Cub/CaseIH paint will NOT fade after a couple years.
You might want to tell whoever told you that, they are wrong. LOL
I've got Case-IH paint that I blew on 10+ years ago and it's still good as the day I sprayed it.
Use cheap paint, yes you will have to clear coat it.
Use good paint and your good to go for many many years.
Cub Cadet paint will even get a couple shades darker after about 5 years, depending on what primer is used.

ya know charlie, i very rarely post on any forums for this very reason. someone asks a question about paint and since i do it for a living i try to help them out by sharing my years of experience. however theres always a doctor, lawyer or wood carver that thinks they know more about paint than me. nobody even mentioned case/ih paint but you so i have no way of knowing what brand or quality paint he will be using. i personally use ppg on everything but most do it yourselfers go with something cheaper. you mention ih paint will get darker over time and i would consider that an unwanted affect just like fading. to Tim Thompson, if i were you i would clear your tractor. the fact of the matter is red paint will start to turn pink after a few years. if your just going to get it out to mow once a week and then put it back in the shed, uncleared will prob be fine but if you frequent tractor shows, plow days or any other event where it will be sitting in the sun for long periods of time then i strongly recommend clear coat.

Tim A.
So you take offense and anyone that might have a different opinion that you?
You might want to reconsider using the internet if your that tender hearted!
Last I heard this was still America and anyone could have an opinion, AND the last I heard, I still owned this freakin place!
So I guess I can still have my opinion here if I want, no matter who likes or dislikes it!
And just because you do it for a living dang sure doesn't mean you know more than anyone else, or can throw paint better either.
I know what I've used over the years and know what works for me.
That doesn't mean it will work for everyone else, That's why I offered my opinion.
I know people that do a lot of things for a living and turn out CRAP everyday, and they call themselves professionals.
Back in the early 80's I used Imron on my Sprint car, and had a PROFESSIONAL of 35 years do some painting as I had other things to do that week, I went to Devils Bowl down in Texas and during hot laps over 90% of the freakin paint cracked off.
I got it back home and stripped it down to bare metal, painted it myself and it lasted 4 years, until I crunched it up in Sedalia on turn 3, LOL.

Jeesh, Guys, tone it down.

I'm not a paint expert, but my experience of upkeep on clear coat does not endear me to the product. Everything is a lot more work on clear coat: the polish is tougher, the wax is more difficult. As a consumer I'm going to avoid clearcoat.

But then, I'm not a paint expert. I'm just giving you an honest opinion as a consumer. Plain paint is good enough for me. No metallic flakes, no clear coat. I'm not trying to win awards at tractor shows, I'm just (hoping) to make my tractor look good. If it takes special storage, I'll opt for that rather than have to take care of a chemical coating I don't fully understand.

On the other hand, if I had the knowledge to apply clear coat correctly and to maintain it so that the shine was alwaya "on." I would take pride in being able to display "the best there is." I'm in awe of people that can make a paint job "pop" and like a lot of other people I'll pay a lot of money to someone who can assure me that a paint job won't stand in the way of me and a well-deserved prize.

Charlie: As far as "owning this site" all I have to say is (1) I'm a customer, and (2) you own the server, the contributors own the site.

Trust me, people don't post here because of your glowing personality, they post here despite it. We love our Cubs, and we love you, but the minute your prejudice come between us and what we judge best for out Cubs, we'll go elsewhere (and you'll never hear us leave).

As the rules of posting state, we each need to respect each other's opinion, like **** we all have them: it doesn't mean they're right, and it doesn't mean the other fellow's wrong. It just means there is a difference, and like Spencer Tracy once said, "Viva la differance!" It is the spice of life.

Thank you both for lifting this otherwise hohum discussion to the level of life-or-death passion.
draw.gif

man I wish I had some popcorn...where is that smiley

Jeremiah....Charlie Does own the site the sponsers help him pay the bills but in the end Charlie has the "deed" to it....

the rest of us are visitors and become customers after a purchase from a sponser above.

I'm sorry Jeff (and Charlie), but "ownership" is not just about property rights.

I learned this as a church pastor year ago, although the deed is held by the board of trust, the church belongs to Jesus Christ, no matter what any of us thinks. (The Lord hurt me pretty bad teaching me that lesson.)

Charlie has put forth a "forum" as in ancient Greece or Rome in which people may hold forth in their opinions. The license grants freedom. Socrates chose death in defense of this freedom offering an "Apology" which is anything but.

I defend Tim's freedom to thumb his nose at Charlie, and I condemn Charlie for attempting to constrain Tim's expression of his opinion.

All of my "substance" is on a theoretical level. I have no relevant experience of painting. If truth be told, I trust a paint brush more than a rattle can or a sprayer. I'll PAY someone like Tim to paint my tractor and make it look good. I'll order parts from Charlie, and I might e-mail him for advice on what parts are available or desirable for my application.

Look at where all this has brought us. The topic of this posting forum is clear coat. Have we illuminated the orignal poster's dilemma?

I doubt it.

I hope he enjoys journey as much as the destination, because we're getting nowhere quick!

Jeremiah, I think its unfair to compare this forum to a church. Unlike a church, with a push of a button Charlie can end this forever (don't do Charlie) and after this post I am done on this topic.

I have no experience with painting, I only use a rattle can and that is for parts when being repaired as all my cubs are workers on my farmette.

So to get back to Tim T original question it sounds to me that 1) he needs to add more info such as paint type/brand and application method 2) and what level of paint finish is he looking for 3) whats he doing with the cub like worker or trailer queen

this is not ment to be an argument at all just some third party insight

not to defend Charlie but after rereading all the post I don't see where he tried to constrain Tim A

P.S. we need a popcorn eating smiley

Paul, they are not in the "clip art" gallery... yet. (Charlie any chance they can be added?) I have them on my PC along with a bunch of others and just upload them as an image as "needed".

Kraig I am torn between them both so maybe Charlie will say both can be loaded, but #2 is my first choice also

Quickie thoughts and seeing someone actually use "cheaper paint and clear coat." I can't remember the specific IH tractor.... older 706 or 806. I was viewing it and noticed the clear coat and how the red underneath didn't look quite right. The owner and I were talking and he told me of how he used a Farm Store cheaper red paint along with the cheaper Farm Store white paint and then clear coated the whole tractor. He thought since he would be leaving the tractor outside however not all year around the clear coat would help. It did keep things shiny however as it was very obvious... It didn't keep the red from fading. He said that he was going to repaint the whole tractor only this time with the genuine IH paint... and again use clear coat. Even he noticed the better quality IH paint was worth the time and effort.

Now on the 125 front rims.... That little fella doesn't sit outside and it is a worker. Rims painted with Valspar in 2002 and still fairly shiny. I keep the rims fairly clean and out of the sun unless using the tractor.

Latest posts

Back