• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Shooting clay birds with my son

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcook

displayname
Bill Cook
Hello folks!

I had a great time yesterday afternoon, and just had to brag.......share.
smile.gif

A little background first.

Recently I bought my first shotgun. It's a Charles Daly Model VR-MC Field 12 ga. Left Hand, 28" barrel, semi-auto.

I can't squint my left eye, so I have to shoot left handed, even though I am right handed. This has kinda been a problem, because I couldn't see spending almost $1,000 on a Left handed Remington model 1100 (even they are a damn nice gun!)

So this brings us to yesterday.....
A guy I work with came out yesterday with a nice thrower he and his dad had built (pretty fancy deal, even had a nice cushioned seat
thumbsup.gif
) almost a case and a half of clay birds, a ton of shells,and Casey also brought along his 1100 Trap, Mossberg 12ga. pump (I think it is a model 835) that will shoot 3 1/2" shells, and a 20ga. pump.

My son is a couple weeks from turning 15, and had shot a 12ga a couple of times, and has run a box of shells through my dads old 20ga shooting at a standing target....so he was in for a treat..LOL

I was also a rookie at shooting clay birds.

Let me tell you, all 3 of us had a GREAT TIME!!!!

Each one of us shot all 4 guns, and all of us run 3 of the 3 1/2" Magnums through the Mossberg....wow, talk about kick like a mule!!

Brandon seems to be a natural at shooting the birds. He mostly used Casey's 1100, and at one time had a streak of 11 straight hits..some of them he flat out turned to dust!!

We had a little 'best of five' contest going. first round, Brandon, Casey, and I all hit 4 of the 5, the next round Casey hit all 5 of his.

Casey also set the thrower up to throw 2 birds at a time.

A couple of times I hit both birds..1 shell a piece. I was ribbing Brandon about that, so he said he wanted to try two... Well the first time he only hit one bird, but he made up for it on the next double set. He blasted both birds with 1 shell
jawdrop.gif

After talking it over with my wife, I am going to be shopping for a used semi-auto for Brandon for Christmas. Since he done so well with the 1100, I'm hoping I can get a used one at a decent price
uhoh.gif

Sorry for the long post, but we were shooting for 3+ hours, and there was a lot of fun had..LOL

It was great to spend time with my son, and seeing him do so well at something...something he can do for years to come.

Bill, shooting trap is loads of fun, my father has a bird thrower, we've had some great times with it. Sounds like you had a great time and found an activity that interest you and your son, that's a very good thing.
happy.gif

Kraig: You are right, shooting trap is a blast!..in more ways than one
buttrock.gif

There is a gun show/swap meet this weekend about an hour from me. We might have to make an appearance
thumbsup.gif

Back