• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sheds and Shops

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stritle

displayname
Steve Tritle
I am planning a shed/shop for the backyard. I have a 10x12 right now, which just isn't enough space for my 2 tractors, plus yard toys, go-kart, etc. My wife would prefer I don't do smelly tractor work in the attached garage.

Any chance I could get some pictures of what you all have built? A search on the thread has a TON of stuff, but I was hoping to congregate it here.

My plan is to build a long and skinny building, 15x30, with swinging doors on one end, and a walk in door on one side. It will have windows, and power for heat and such. That will give me room for my goal of 3 tractors (need to buy another 782 to build as a dream tractor), as well as a work area and storage.

Thanks.

Steve, here's mine, it's a 10'x18' shed with a 10'x24' lean-to. The shed portion is built off of the ground on 6x6 posts with double 2x8 "beams" set into the posts. The posts and beams are inset from the edge so that the 2x6 joists have a shorter span and the 2x6 joists are 12" on center with 3/4" plywood floor. The siding is plywood siding. I used an old sliding patio door with the panels turned on their side for windows. The lean-to has a gravel floor. I built the shed one year and added the lean-to a year later. The lean-to is basic pole barn construction. 6x6 posts with 2x6 girts. This is WAY too small. I consider it a garden shed. I really need to build a barn....

96726.jpg

96727.jpg

96728.jpg

96729.jpg

96730.jpg

If I could have got my neighbors to build a shed in the corners of our lots, this is what we could have had...

Why men have sheds video

I ended up with a 10 x 12 barn style shed. I just had a 5' double door instead of 6' so I could have a little more wall space. I just wanted to make sure the 44" deck would fit through... barely as it measures 53" across total width. I didn't have time to build my own, so I bought one premade and delivered. It's built very well. Has a 4' deep loft just high enough I can walk under it no problem. I'm going to put a 2' loft at the door end to put the push mower and summer stuff up out of the way for winter. I need to rearrange things, but as of now I have all three of my Cubs in there. Even the CCO/loader.

96732.jpg

As you can see, it's too small. That or I have too much stuff in it....
blush.gif

96734.jpg

96735.jpg

Kraig-

"....or I have too much stuff in it"

When was the last time you rode that sled? I say get that thing out of there as it's taking up vital room for one more cub!
<font size="-2">Not to mention, you're getting too old to be bumping around on snowmobile trails</font>

Besides....Right now is the perfet time to sell a sled, so get with it!
headphones.gif

I never thought of a lean to. Very nice. I also like your thinking out of the box with the windows.

Height is an issue, as there are many oaks in my yard that are very old, and I would feel bad trimming back too much.

A good year of planning and purchasing used stuff in prep should lead to a nice shed. Thanks for the ideas.

Art, I forget when the last time I rode the sled was.
1a_scratchhead.gif
old.gif
It's a 1993 Arctic Cat 550 EXT, I think I'll hold onto my youth for a little while longer....

Steve, thanks.
happy.gif
I have a spare set of those sliding patio doors for future expansion too. You can see them leaning on the back wall of the shed in the second photo from the bottom. I salvaged them from my house when I did some remodeling some years ago. They make excellent shed windows.
proud.gif

Steve, I just remembered that I was going to install the second old patio door as an operable patio door in the back of the shed. I even framed it in, note the header and odd stud spacing on the back wall in the photo. At the time this was just going to be a temporary work shop while I resided the house then it was to become a garden shed with lots of windows for starting tomato and pepper seedlings. After the house was resided I was then going to build an 18'x28' two story pole barn with a 14'x28' lean-to off of each side. My wife forgot the future pole barn portion of our agreement.
bash.gif

96747.jpg

Steve:
This is a 40 x 46 . It's actually a 40 deep x 30 wide x 14 high (sidewall) with a 16 foot wide lean-to the full depth. The lean-to maintained the same roof pitch and has an 8 foot outside wall. The "drawback" is the internal posts on the lean-to side, but this provides your wall if you want to enclose the lean-to. I just built an overhead loft for storage, as this is a "3-season" building (my insulated workshop is 22 x 22 - much easier to heat)..
96760.jpg

96761.jpg

Sure wish I could afford some Story County Iowa land to build a shop like that. I found a house with two barns, one of which would be perfect, but they want 1/2 million for the who shebang.

Great ideas!

I was lucky - it was the last big pre-retirement thing (summer of '06). I saved for about two years and had it built, rather than try to do it myself.. Material was about 13K and flatwork /labor was about the same. The real goal was to get a motorhome and two older project vehicles inside, along with Cub/L&G workspace and just plain storage. I finally got the last thing (51 Merc Coupe) moved inside just last week..

The loft area is really nice - you can't stand up on the leanto side, but I cantilevered it out over the 30x40 for 4 feet and that has about 6 feet of headroom.

You can see the base of a jib boom bolted to one of the 6 x 6 posts. That sticks out 8 feet and has one of the 880 lb. HF 110 volt hoists on it. Was really great for putting the kitchen stove (no kidding) up in the loft.. It'll snatch the front (or all) of the 129 up in the air with no problem, too
96772.jpg

Kendell,
That looks like a Neenah Paper carton lid under a Wausau Paper carton bottom up in your loft.

KENDELL - Really nice shop!

Years ago My Dad was Positive I needed a pole barn building. So since that's what I do....shop & buy stuff I started "shopping" Pole barns come without floors, tough to insulate due to pole/stud spacing, they can be noisy. But a local company builds pre-fab garages on CONCRETE PADS with 2X4 studded walls 16" O/C and 2X4 trusses for rafters 24" O/C. For a little less than a pole barn I got a 24 ft X 36 ft building, 12 ft X 7-1/2 ft tall roll-up garage door, 36" x 80" walk-in door, two small (18" x 36") windows. Enough room for a 26 foot long work bench which is always totally cluttered with junk. Has 8 ft tall ceilings which is not high enough. I wanted 10 ft sidewalls but the price jumped roughly 40% for the additional height. I put 100A 220V electrical service in, Wish I had 3-phase, next shop will have it.

Biggest problem I have is that with three Cubbies, two full size FARMALL's all My power tools like table saw, radial arm saw, miter saw, drill press's, several grinders, cut-off saw & bandsaw, welders & welding table, tool cabinents, portable work benches, storage shelves, PLUS room to store My pickup I can barely walk around in the shop.

Ohhhhh, I wanted in-floor hot water heat and a floor drain and the contractor almost walked out of the house on Me. Then He wanted to argue with Me on the 36" wide walk-in door and I walked out on HIM.
roflol.gif

Son & I have discussed adding a 12 to 14 ft X 24 ft lean-to on the back at a lower level for "Cold Storage" but I really think My "NEXT SHOP" will be about 40' X 60' with 12 ft sidewalls. I REALLY need to get a BIGGER FARMALL with a cab with heat & A/C. Once I go from 2+ acres to about 5 acres I'll be able to justify a 5288 I think.

Keith:
And here I thought I was gonna hear about the Tonka equipment fleet(bought during a moment of insanity at a Brown County, Indiana flea market 25 years ago, and never played with by my grandson..). The paper box is one of many - I was an office rat(actually a computer room rat) for 40 years , lots of computer paper and xerox paper boxes from Wisconsin ..

Dennis:
I looked at in-floor heating, but it drove my budget over the edge, and I didn't really have full workshop plans, its usable in 3 seasons (and I've worked out a plan for the fourth, heh, heh).That 13 foot overhead was a special order (more $$$), but I'm glad we got that and the two smaller ones. The only door I'd give back now is the one on the side, it's just a waste of space (but would be logical if the leanto side was enclosed for workshop..)

And an OT question - does anyone work at or live around Generac in Wisconsin (I've been having an argument with someone about the origin of the Vanguard engine??

Man are there some dream shops on here...
Thought I would share a pic. of my garage!!It has a cement floor BUT Being that there is no garage door 98 percent of the time it has a dirt and whatever else blows in on the floor!I put a fence a cross the opening cause the doogs took to comeing in and taking whatever they want and peeing on my tarps that cover the cub and tabel
bash.gif
bazooka.gif
!Not near as clean as Dons huh!!!Or many others here for that matter!!!
111419.jpg

Next summer it getting a window on each side and a set of double doors.

just a little sketchup model of what our plans are for our shed next summer. We want to Attatch a wood shed to the existing shed. Open air bottom with closing front doors. Made sure to have enough room for the cub in there too. Everything is to scale except the wood. they are about 3 ft too long.
1a_scratchhead.gif

111544.jpg

Lucas, it looks like it but I can't tell for sure, is that a saltbox style roof? What are the dimensions? Looks like a good plan for an addition.

yeah the shed was a prefabbed with a saltbox roof. the dimensions for the wood shed are 10'x 10' with a 7' front entry way.Trying to get the original done first then start on the shed.

What are the dinensions for the building in the drawing? My thought is something similar, however, my main doors would be on the narrow side so I have more floor space that can be tied up. My goal is a 4 tractor shed: 3 working and 1 restoration.

Very nice.

Latest posts

Back