• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Severe mental problems.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbuffalo

displayname
joe buffalo
Hi. New guy here.

What manner of mental illness is this metallugical-morphism combined with grave obsessions and fetishes with metallic mowing monsters?

I have bought (on paper) a 128 that is out of town and am anxious to pick it up.

I find that I am thinking about this a great deal of time.

I don't even know what a 'creeper' is but, I want one. I don't know if this 128 has a power take-off but I want one.

Do these things have a backhoe or can one be fitted and if so, is it a toy or can it really do some work?

I will have to put in rings and a clutch.

I have also bought a small Ditch Witch. I know that I must be a very dirty man if these dirt and grass machines are any hint of such.

I realize that I am very ill and will probably get worse so, what else will I wind up wanting? https://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/clipart/sad.gif

Thanks

Joe

You're going to want extra days off so you can work on the thing, make attachments, ect..
Then you're gonna kick your own butt for taking the days off because now you don't have enough money to buy more cubs.

PF engineering has loader/backhoe plans you can purchase and build, they have links to hydraulics sites as well to buy the needed parts. You should check them out
http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/
I just copy and pasted that. You can make what ever your imagination(and wallet) allow. Just think of it and it could or has been done.
If your not into building it yourself find a reputable welding and/or machine shop to do it for you. Or checkout the gigantic, evil, greedy auction site to see if someone is selling what you want, they comeup on occasion.
Have fun and you can't have enough. I have 7 and counting all on a 1/4 acre!

Yes, Kyle, I agree except that I recently retired and do have time. The money is the problem.

I can see this really getting out of hand. That's me, though

Joe

Thanks a bunch for the nice link and other info, Earl. I have bookmarked it.

I have been amassing tools/machines and have a large lathe, mill, mig, tig, stick, oxy/acet., saws, etc.
Now, I will have to find bucks to buy the steel.

Anyway, I am chomping at the bit to get the 128 and see what all of this madness is about.

Are all of those nine that you have running?

If my 128 doesn't have a pto, is one available?

Thanks

Joe

Ha! No, but if it weren't so cold they could all be running in an afternoon. Driving is a different story. The pto on a cub is the pulley on the front of the engine. Used to run mower decks, snowblowers, rototillers, etc. I doubt yours is missing but it is indeed a possibility. I highly suggest getting a manual, I believe one of the sponsors, binderbooks, has them. It will show you all you need to know about your tractor. If you have questions specific to your tractor, ask on the main forum. Now if you want a rear pto that is a different story. You can find them but good luck! There are far more guys knowledgeable than me here. They have been around these since new! Me, only about 5 years, that am I am still considered wet behind the ears, The wonderful age of 21! Still can't remember quite afew nights.
There are many attachments/implements, whatever you like to call them, available. Your 128 is a wideframe, 12hp, geardrive. Your engine is solid mount(bolted directly to the frame) I really suggest a manual and you can always look thru the faqs
Earl

The PTO from a CUB tractor will go right in a Cub Cadet BUT it wont be a direct bolt up and run operation nor will a PTO out of another so equipped Cub Cadet because the transmission shaft has to be machined for the PTO to be driven from the trans input shaft.

Joe B. Another site for loaders and backhoe's is www.cadplans.com they also have the ability to sell all the parts needed. Seems they are able to do some serious work. your looking at $2000 just for parts. Then you gotta weld it up and fit it. If you have the time and $$$, go for it!

Earl,

I guess I will have to get separate books, i.e., owners and parts and service manuals.

What do the rear power take-offs usually sell for and where does on look for one, here?

Joe

Ken,

You mention that the p.t.o.s need machining,etc.

Where does one get the exact data on this.

Thanks

Joe

Allan,

Thanks for the interesting site.

I think that I would take the money for the materials and parts and just buy a used widget.

Got way too many projects now.

Joe

Joe here's a couple of pics. The First one is just so you can SEE what I had to climb over to take the second pic! ;)
52898.jpg

52899.jpg

That's the PTO shaft so the trans shaft has to have the pilot hole drilled in and then it has to be splined so the sliding coupler will lock the two together.

If you can get a driveshaft from a Farmall Cub it can be used to re-work the top shaft from a Cub Cadet transmission. The splined end is cut and then welded to a shortened top shaft. It's not ideal but it can be cheaper than having splines cut if you can get a used F-Cub driveshaft and have the seller cut it for shipping. It's also going to be a lot cheaper than buying a "new" top shaft that has the splines. Last time I looked MTD was asking $380 for one.

If you want one do what they say or keep your eyes peeled and hope to find one, there out there just few and far between. You should attened plowdays and tractor shows and look to see if they have a selling area and check it out. I don't know much about the books, all I've learned is from experience tearing the cub aparts and just 'going headfirst'. It has proved to be both good and horrible experiences. Have fun!

Hey, Ken. Thanks for the nice pictures. You crawl well.

I assume that the picture is of the pto shaft from a Cub (not Cadet) and I see that it is splined and I also assume that the round thing is a coupler and its male stud has to be splined to fit ....Jeez, I am confused.

Joe

Kyle,

I will keep a lookout. I am getting a metal shaper and could cut splines with that or, I have a mill that would work, too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Joe

Joe - The turned down part is the shaft, the sliding coupler is hiding the splines under itself but you can make them out behind the coupler. The trans shaft will be drilled to accept the PTO turn down (like the pilot bushing in the back end of a car crank to put the trans input shaft into) then the trans shaft needs to be splined to match the PTO shaft. The coupler then slides up onto the trans shaft and the two shafts are held by the coupler.
If you cut the splines on a cadet shaft then it'll have to be re-hardened to last.
52915.jpg

52916.jpg

52917.jpg

The pic of what I had to climb over - gray cabinet on right, bottom shelf ... Did someone mention an old Cub Tractor shaft ;)
52918.jpg

What don't you have Ken? I'll leave it at that. I'm glad you have thought out alot of the work. I'm even a little confused, but I'm not planning on making one of these so it's fine. I'll just stay in the dark until daylight comes.

Very funny Ken! I'll just have to get a 100 million candle power spot light to find my brain, it's there somewhere. I saw it a few years ago and think it's still there. There's too much 'junk' in the way to see.

Latest posts

Back