• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sears Suburban 10

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just talked a friend of mine into getting his grandpa's Sears suburban from his uncle. Doesn't idle but looks good according to my friend. He can't get it until later this summer, far drive. His uncle hasn't used it in 2 years except for snow blowing duty. Funny how you mentioned time at a premium, I've been walloped by work and projects with spring finally showing up! I don't know his model yet, except it's the gold/white-ish scheme.

Hi Earl,

I know it's been a while, but I've been slammed here lately. I haven't really had time to do anything. Keep us informed about that Suburban. Even though it may not idle well, my bet is that a good tune up and maybe a carb clean/rebuild will take care of it. I've put the Sears on the back burner until I come across an engine. Once I find one, I will get back at it.

His uncle has shedded it since he got it. I told him a good carb cleaning should fix it. Real reason he stopped using it really is something with steering. So hopefully in July I'll get to report on what it is, hopefully a 10! I've seen a few come up lately with either b/s or Tecumseh engines. The b/s are painted like factory, I'm beginning to wonder if these were Sears offered replacements possibly. I heard there are manuals with my friends, it would be a world of knowledge to see.

For how long some projects take. Billy, I've had a Ford truck sitting for 10 years now, and my Case for 5 years. Combine with normal life and boom! The time will come, hopefully sooner than later.

Hi Ed,

I can't believe you found that. If I had the money for it, I would own it. I hate being broke.

Greetings to everyone!

It has been some time since I posted on the forum. I do apologize for this. Life has been kind of up and down these past few years, so I needed to kind of step away and re evaluate things. While I continue to do this, I decided to keep my mind occupied with a project- one that I started, but haven't finished yet. I decided to turn my attention to Grandpa's Suburban. I started with a set of new front boots:
IMG_20200726_175451.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the key switch. It is a very basic toggle switch. It tested bad, so I will have to put a new one in. Then, I turned my attention to the carburetor. I tore apart this one, soaked it, cleaned it, re-assembled it, and it was good to go. I also took off the gas tank and flushed it out really good. It was really dirty.

IMG_20200726_175409.jpg

After taking a very small break, today I pulled the engine to finish re mounting the flywheel shroud. I couldn't get to those bottom two bolts otherwise. It wasn't very time consuming. After that was done, I repaired the existing throttle cable. I had to manually set the throttle to adjust the carburetor; I hated this, so fixing the cable was important. I ran a new fuel line, and discovered my shut off valve leaks. After this was done, I fired her up and she ran pretty good. Started on the second pull at half-throttle. I let it warm up, and changed the oil in in. Boy was it black and nasty. I do not think my uncle changed oil in this poor thing ever. He bought this engine new in 1985. It does smoke a little now, but I am hoping that goes away as I run it some. It hasn't really run in 5 years, or more. But, today it did, and I strolled around my driveway with it some. That was fun.

Anyway, here is an update so y'all didn't think I was done with the project. I still need to fix the fuel leak, install a new ignition switch, put a fuel filter on, and drain and refill the trans-axle. As much as I would love too, painting it is not an option right now- but mechanical problems I can address. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys.

Any progress is good. Getting it running is a great step forward.

Any progress is good. Getting it running is a great step forward.

Thanks Kraig. Been a long time since we last spoke. Hope you and yours are staying safe during this pandemic :)

Today, I got the transmission oil changed. Boy that was a chore. Afterwards, I took it out for a spin. I'm not sure how much longer that old Briggs has; she is smoking quite a bit. I know it has sat, essentially, for 8 or 9 years, so I won't give up on it yet. If it does give up the ghost, I will probably put a predator engine on it. Those seem to be a pretty good fit for these machines.

The transmission works perfectly fine. It had filled with water, and had mixed with the oil. It was nasty changing it. I will post later with some updates; I have a few more parts coming in this week or so for it.

Back