• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

SB 9A followed me home

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh back from the painter.
Let the re-assembly begin!!

DSCN7974.JPG
DSCN7975.JPG

Well rainy days equals shop time.
Made a bit more headway today and finished up the headstock.
I hope to corner the neighbor tomorrow for help in laying down the cabinet and installing the UMD components.
DSCN7986.JPG
DSCN7987.JPG

Got the motor and underdrive unit install yesterday with the help of my oldest Son, Les.
Although the belt I had thought was correct is way too long as can be seen in the pictures.
I am thinking I may have made made a typo by adding another '4' (3440) (5L440) when I ordered the belt and have been told the correct belt is a #3400 (5L400)
This from a fellow that has the same lathe w/original motor and 2 place pulley. Belt is a Truflex brand

Mine is a replacement motor and single place pully.
DSCN7994.JPG
DSCN7995.JPG
DSCN7996.JPG

Just about to wrap this up.
All I need now is a live center for the tail stock, and the correct switch so I can wire up to the 220 I have in my shop.
However, I can still use then plug on the motor cord for the time being.

DSCN8002.JPG
DSCN8003.JPG
DSCN8010.JPG

Very nice Dave! Reminds me of days many years ago running one of those in high school shop class.

That turned out nice. The first lathe I ever ran was a South Bend in high school machine trades class.

Wouldn't know the first thing about operating a lathe, however I can appreciate what you have done to restore that machine.
Great refurbish !

The drum switch showed up last week and Les and I made an adaptor for the mounting and shaft extension for the handle so as to not have to drill new holes in the cabinet and be able to use the original holes.

He is home this month recovering from a hernia operation and has been great support for this project.
Here is the switch before installation in the cabinet.

DSCN8042.JPG

On my desk yesterday when we got home from a weekend trip.
OEM South Bens faceplate and an NOS Bison 5" chuck w 2 sets of jaws.
Should look good on my 71 year old 9A!
DSCN8079.JPG
DSCN8080.JPG

Back