• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

SB 9A followed me home

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gaining on it/ s9ome before and after pic's

DSCN7933.JPG
DSCN7934.JPG
DSCN7948.JPG
DSCN7949.JPG

Hey, it looks great. I am currently reviving a long unused Delta/Rockwell 10". Just about done, I set aside the old mechanical variable speed (would have been fun to get working but was missing a lot of pieces) in favor of a treadmill motor, it seems to run fine. I worked for many years making prototype parts for machines we were designing, but never had to buy my own tooling (lucky me) and now I need a QCTP and related tooling - do you have any recommendations? (I mean specific brands/suppliers) I'm familiar with MSC....

Stu, That's where I got my QCTP.

Cabinet is gutted and ready for a trip to the sandblaster.
UMD components are cleaned and awaiting the cabinet refinishing so will be a few weeks yet.
Most components are done and awaiting re assembly at this point.
DSCN7952.JPG

I thought this might be entertaining. I took a while getting it up on this old desk in the barn... by the way, the desk is very sturdy, actually a sheet metal structure cleverly concealed with veneer. The "backsplash" is part of a shower I ripped out... Next time I go out to the barn I'll take some snaps of my progress so far. Thanks, David and John for the tooling info.

Can't tell from your picture but is that a flat belt drive or V?
Wondering if a pair of those link type belts would suffice in place of a flat belt.
Serpentine belt is out because mine is a UMD model.

My cabinet is at the sandblaster this AM.
Should have it beck end of the week ready to install the drive and wrap this up!!

The original drive was 2 v-belts from below, where they were powered from the variable speed drive - years (like 40) ago I worked with an old machinist who had the same model lathe, I think - at least what I remember is he had the link type belts - and I always wondered why as they seemed odd - til I read the manual for this lathe and to replace those belts you have to remove the whole main shaft, and they (delta) recommended sending it back to the factory to get it done! Those belts make perfect sense now! I was in the saw design business for a while - there was an upcut saw that was sold with the same kind of issue but they were sold with extra belts loose (tied off of course) around the main shaft....

Wondering if a pair of those link type belts would suffice in place of a flat belt.
Serpentine belt is out because mine is a UMD model.

Why not just cut a serpentine belt and lace it back together? Has been working fine on my 9C for years.
splice.jpg

David, Here's the dog drive plate and collet closer I have leftover from my SB9. The collet is 1/2" Let me know if anything looks useful.
I also have a CD's worth of misc info for the lathe.

sb.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you can replace the flat belt with a link belt.

I did replace my motor-to-jackshaft V-belt with one of those link belts, though, and it works great.

Let's try this instead.

FYI (sorry, off topic) McAfee is pretty worthless for actually protecting you from things. I had that for a long time, and stopped getting viruses once I switched to malwarebytes...hmm...

Attachments

• Belt Splicing Instructions - Bulletin No 600.pdf
    906.8 KB · Views: 490
Back