• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

SB 9A followed me home

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
SN #16490NKR
Cat #8344ZN

Barebones machine, no tooling

DSCN7879.JPG
DSCN7882.JPG

I should probably look for a nice 9" South Bend. I looked at a Logan a few years ago, but the bearings were all loose and noisy. Would not have been accurate.

I loved my SB9. It was replaced with a Clausing 5914 but I miss how smooth and quiet the SB was. The Clausing is a variable speed pulley deal and noisy compared to the SB. I have some SB stuff still left and dupes of tooling and tools. I can take inventory if you are interested.
John

John, I will need some stuff I'm sure.
What you see in the pic's is all that came with it.
I do have a new QCTP that I just recently bought from MSC when it was discounted some a moth or so ago.
This will be a fall winter project though, I'm really short on time righty now and it is still sitting on the trailer inside the shop!

Congrats on the lathe. I may have a spare drill chuck with a #2 Morse taper if that’s what your tailstock has.

Got the 9A in the shop finally and had a little time today due to the weather to do some clean up.
Started on the easy end.
I don't mind a little patina but the guy that did this should have that putty knife inserted somewhere! Totally uncalled for.
I bought the felt and wiper kit for it and still will have to get a belt and a power switch. I'm glad it is 110 volt and has a nearly new motor on it.
I have a chuck located for it and will have to rework the hold down nut from the new QCTP I recently got to fit the cross slide on the compound.
The mill will come in handy for that.
Made a set of wooden dollies for it so I can move it around in the shop easily and keep it out of the way. It will be setting on the floor though when I get it cleaned up and ready to use, just don't know where yet!

Attachments

• DSCN7898.JPG
    DSCN7898.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCN7899.JPG
    DSCN7899.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN7900.JPG
    DSCN7900.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 395
Looking good David. Are you brushing or spraying the paint.

It's just rustoleum rattle cans is all.
Nothing special
Gloss Smoke Grey
Thinking about having the stand and chip tray sandblasted and painted w/automotive paint by a body shop.
Maybe a contrasting color?
Ideas??

The only problem I see with painting the inside of the chip tray is the beating it takes when you clean it. Sliding all the swarf around tends to scratch it up. That's how it worked out for me. FWIW

Yeah, the guy that cleaned it the last time really screwed it up.
How about lining it with some cardboard, That would soak up the oil.
Then just fold it up and pitch it swarf and all from time to time.
I have some"pig mats" is use under Cubs etc to catch oil drips, works great
Just google "pig mat" they have a web site with all kinds of cleaning solutions.
I don't let the crap build up on my mill and I clean it after every use.

Good idea about the cardboard! I usually brush the lathe off after using it, but only clean the chip tray when it builds up a bit because it's such a pain to clean. I'll try the cardboard. Thanks David!

A little shop time on the mill this morning and I finally got the Tee nut finished for the compound on my 9A so I can mount the QCTP.
Sharpie did the black trick
14MM x 1.5
Used the 1/2 function on the DRO to center the hole, works slick!!

Attachments

• DSCN7930.JPG
    DSCN7930.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 325
The lathe bed got a paint job today.
Here it is ready for primer after a good scrubbing with a wire brush, brake parts cleaner to remove paint and a liberal rinse with mineral spirits.

DSCN7939.JPG

A lot of it was in someone's kitchen!
My Mom's!!
My late brother Carl built them back i the 50's When he lived in Marion, IA and worked at Collin's, now Collin's Aerospace.
We did a major remodel of the place a few years back when we started renting it.

Back