Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

SB 9A followed me home

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

Stu

Hey, it looks great. I am currently reviving a long unused Delta/Rockwell 10". Just about done, I set aside the old mechanical variable speed (would have been fun to get working but was missing a lot of pieces) in favor of a treadmill motor, it seems to run fine. I worked for many years making prototype parts for machines we were designing, but never had to buy my own tooling (lucky me) and now I need a QCTP and related tooling - do you have any recommendations? (I mean specific brands/suppliers) I'm familiar with MSC....

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Stu, That's where I got my QCTP.

Cabinet is gutted and ready for a trip to the sandblaster.
UMD components are cleaned and awaiting the cabinet refinishing so will be a few weeks yet.
Most components are done and awaiting re assembly at this point.
DSCN7952.JPG

Stu

I thought this might be entertaining. I took a while getting it up on this old desk in the barn... by the way, the desk is very sturdy, actually a sheet metal structure cleverly concealed with veneer. The "backsplash" is part of a shower I ripped out... Next time I go out to the barn I'll take some snaps of my progress so far. Thanks, David and John for the tooling info.

Stu

original parts are safely stored away... in case the missing drive parts ever turn up. To determine RPM I am using a little optical tach I bought to set the speed on the 1250.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Can't tell from your picture but is that a flat belt drive or V?
Wondering if a pair of those link type belts would suffice in place of a flat belt.
Serpentine belt is out because mine is a UMD model.

My cabinet is at the sandblaster this AM.
Should have it beck end of the week ready to install the drive and wrap this up!!

Stu

The original drive was 2 v-belts from below, where they were powered from the variable speed drive - years (like 40) ago I worked with an old machinist who had the same model lathe, I think - at least what I remember is he had the link type belts - and I always wondered why as they seemed odd - til I read the manual for this lathe and to replace those belts you have to remove the whole main shaft, and they (delta) recommended sending it back to the factory to get it done! Those belts make perfect sense now! I was in the saw design business for a while - there was an upcut saw that was sold with the same kind of issue but they were sold with extra belts loose (tied off of course) around the main shaft....

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Wondering if a pair of those link type belts would suffice in place of a flat belt.
Serpentine belt is out because mine is a UMD model.
Why not just cut a serpentine belt and lace it back together? Has been working fine on my 9C for years.
splice.jpg

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
That's awesome Matt!!
Just butt to butt then?
What did you use for lacing? Looks like fish line?

jgeorg

displayname
John G.
David, Here's the dog drive plate and collet closer I have leftover from my SB9. The collet is 1/2" Let me know if anything looks useful.
I also have a CD's worth of misc info for the lathe.

sb.jpg

Last edited:

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
John, sounds good. How much??
PM me, OK?
Could not open the attachment, McAffee blocked it.

Stu

I had no idea you could splice a serpentine belt like that, that's very cool. In my case I went with the V-belts as that's what's on the main shaft.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
I don't think you can replace the flat belt with a link belt.

I did replace my motor-to-jackshaft V-belt with one of those link belts, though, and it works great.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Matt, I could not open the instructions for the splicing, McAfee blocked it

Latest posts