• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

sandblasting problems???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry got carried away there. Marty i used Black beauty sand on my 1450. But be careful. Very aggressive. I order it in “Fine” you WILL plug up a sandblaster if you don’t use fine

Al. Oxide lasts much longer so if you compare cost it is competitive with the price of sand without all the dust... As for the guy with the gunstock if he never used it he should have tried it on an old piece of wood first.. Harbor Freight stocks it in 70 grit and it leaves a nice finish on metal..
Kevin, not trying to say I know everything about blasting.I did a lot of sample blasting in previous occupation for customers.Everything from steel shot to 400 grit oxide.The biggest 2 issues were how much pressure you use and what surface finish was desired and that was the deciding factors in grit size. There are some heavy primers today that fill some of the surface roughness.The issue of life was rather parts were reasonable clean so grease /oil didn't contaminate the media.The majority of our customers were mfg new parts so normally wasn't a problem.A lot of new castings are blasted.....The guy with the gunstock caused a lot of laughs at his expense....

I too do not know everything about the subject but I have a long background in the autobody field, Also 25 years in manufacturing and blasted many parts including new ones.. The people here are not intersted in that but want to know how to use thier blast cabinets and such in thier home garages working on thier tractors.. So blast pressure etc. Is not a issue as their equipment is usually not commercial anyway.. Just trying to help my fellow cub lovers out..

Hi all new to the group my back ground is automotive engine rebuilding. We used both aluminum oxide and glass bead they both have good and bad sides. Alum oxide is a faster rust and paint remover and does not break down as fast but if you stay in one place on a part to long it can damage the part with heavy texture. It’s also wears out your gun and machine quicker. Glass bead does break down but is safer to use on all metals and leaves a nice texture but is a slower process. We used 70/80 grit with both media’s and 80 psi with a syphon machine witch most of us have at home in our shops.

Not really aggresive.. Just lower your air pressure a little.. These tractors are heavy steel and you are not going to hurt them blasting steel in a blast cabinet..

I did my 30 years of self employment so I am semi retired but as a general rule aluminum with glass bead and steel and iron in aluminum oxide. I don’t like to blast blocks because their are to many areas to trap the media and is very damaging to the internals if you can’t get it clean after blasting. If you only want to have one type of media I would choose glass bead.

I did my 30 years of self employment so I am semi retired but as a general rule aluminum with glass bead and steel and iron in aluminum oxide. I don’t like to blast blocks because their are to many areas to trap the media and is very damaging to the internals if you can’t get it clean after blasting. If you only want to have one type of media I would choose glass bead.
Martin, what you're saying is the application drives the choice of media for a variety of reasons. Well said and I totally agree..

That is what I was saying as well.. you would not use walnut shells to blast steel.. Not unless you need something to keep you busy for the next six months.. Glass is what works best for aluminum and aluminum oxide works best for steel..and if it is pitting the steel or you don't like the finish you are getting then adjust the pressure at the regulator until you get what you want.. many people think you need to blast at the highest pressure you can make, but like painting you need to adjust the equipment to get the desired results..

The machine shop I use tanks the blocks and shot blasts them as prep before any machine work is done on them.
Not worth the time not to mention the mess for me to fool with it.

They look like brand new when returned.
I assemble, spray down good with Brake Kleen, blow dry and paint.

Back