• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

sandblasting problems???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
I haven't used my cabinet blaster in 3 months but"it worked fine the last time".. In the midst of a refurb on old iron it kept plugging so no sand was being sprayed. In frustration it was decided to dump and screen.What I found was just another mother nature thing...In Mi. we have been inundated by what we call stink bugs ,they are approx. 1/2 long. They hide in the most unique places.Who would think insects would like sand? After screening about 100 lbs of sand I had about 50 of these creatures on the screen much to my huge surprise. They found a dry place to be. Quite obviously they plugged the suction tube often....The lesson is mother nature let's us do things but she does like to challenge us.Just a simple heads up thought worth sharing..(IMO)

They are like ladybugs, they will look for a dark dry place to hide in bunches. Nothing like cutting a window air conditioner on and stinkbug parts start flying everywhere along with the smell!

Gee Is there any place that does not have infestation with stink bugs? I am amazed where you can find them.

Just curious '100 lb sand' abrasive or real sand. Using standard siphon or pressure tank?

Here in Pittsburgh Pa. We had that problem. Takes 3 years for them to get controlled. In other words We brought them in. So since the Birds have never seen them before. They seemed to shun them. Completely ignore them. Now that birds relize they are food. 90% gone from here

Maybe that's what's going on here in northern Indiana,the last couple of yrs were far worse than this year,you didn't even want to open a door cause they were all over the side of the house! I know one thing,my chickens won't have nothing to do with eating those nasty things...and I didn't think there was anything they wouldn't eat

What ever you do, don't use regular sand. It produces silica which will cause breathing problems and maybe even lung cancer. Sand also has a small amount of dirt/clay in it and will stop up your blaster.

What ever you do, don't use regular sand. It produces silica which will cause breathing problems and maybe even lung cancer. Sand also has a small amount of dirt/clay in it and will stop up your blaster.
Sand by defintion is particle size and is silica carbonate(inland sand) is usually a quartz based material.The real danger is inhaling microscopic particles with sharp edges into your lungs.(think oldtime coal mining) If you blast without a mask you're being foolish,if you blast without eye protection you're being foolish, If you blast without containing the overspray you're ..etc....The very reasons for blast cabinets....Commercial sand simply has been thru a cleaning process that removes other contaminents but by the time we blast with it we have broken some down to dust size and added many other components such as dirt,grease, paint ,etc.. I have a friend in the business of blasting,he dresses like he was going to outer space...And that's hell on a 90 deg day....

You definitely want to cover every inch of your body while using a pressure tank. That's why I don't blast when it gets hot outside.
When it is hot, you can easily get condensate in the air lines too.

I use a blast cabinet for all the parts that will fit in the cabinet. The media can be used for a good while. Just pour it through a screen often to filter the undesirable and larger stuff out. I often place a fan nearby to blow some of the dust out of the media while filtering.
When the media is kind of worn out, I transfer it to the pressure tank to use on the larger stuff. It can even be used again by placing a large tarp or plastic down where you are blasting. Just sweep what is left up, filter it, and put it back in the pressure tank.
I can usually do a whole tractor with just two or three bags.
Yes, you can spend a lot of $$$ on fancy expensive media if you want to, but I try to keep costs down as much as possible.
The media I use is not expensive. I think I bought it for around $5 a bag. Works great for me.

DSCF0700.JPG black diamond.JPG

I like using aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet..it lasts a lot longer with less dust as it takes a while to break down.. Also cuts faster.. Harbor Freight sells it...

I like using aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet..it lasts a lot longer with less dust as it takes a while to break down.. Also cuts faster.. Harbor Freight sells it...
al.oxide is a man made product and it does hold up much better under higher pressure....much more cost tho....the biggest positive of al. ox. is it can be purchased in many grit sizes, the coarse sizes will roughen metal surface.....a friend once tried to take the finish off an old gunstock and quickly learned how to eat grooves in wood..

Al. Oxide lasts much longer so if you compare cost it is competitive with the price of sand without all the dust... As for the guy with the gunstock if he never used it he should have tried it on an old piece of wood first.. Harbor Freight stocks it in 70 grit and it leaves a nice finish on metal..

Used a Snap On socket and sanded for days. Floated the stock so not to touch barrel. Then Marine -tex epoxy. Used water base stain then spray painted steel wool. And dragged it across the stock. To match the main stock. How did i do? No sandblating LOL

Back