• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sand or soda blasting

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soda is good for carburetors and soft metals like aluminum and pot metal. Wash with soap and water when done. One caution, if you are sandblasting sheet metal go easy. It can warp the sheet metal panels, stretch the metal and generally create havoc.

Getting my 70 ready for prepping, priming, and painting. I ran across an article at an automotive site about dry ice bead blasting. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on dry ice bead blasting versus the traditional sand blasting or walnut shell blasting?
Thanks

Walnut blasted my TH- 400 In my 1972 Buick Stage 1. Because Aluminum is soft. My Cub 1450 used a small bucket siphon feed blaster. I used Black magic sand “FINE”. Works terrific. no metal warp. Play sand works good but always has moisture in it. From Home depot. Sand has to be bought in paper bags. so it breathes.

I always use epoxy on bare metal. Then apply the paint. epoxy has (2) week window. So if you don’t want to sand primer your good. And epoxy will never rust

Nason makes a good epoxy. That you guys can afford. Great paint. I think Dupont bought them 20 years ago. They’ve been distributing it.

Kurt look at my pics under 1450 resto. That’s all epoxy. it i used the industry version. For bridges. Veeeety exspensive. over kill

Dry ice blasting does a great job on assembled machinery for removing paint and crud . There is no residue as dry ice is just co2 . The only drawback is that it leaves any oils that is present. The key is to go easy on wires and gauges I used this process to clean food handling equipment.

Good for industrial equipment that has to be , worked on In location . you can’t clean up around
Removes the contamination, use a drop cloths of some kind layed down ,roll up and through it away ,easy clean up.
also cleans electrical cabinets with oily residue On wiring ,easy for electrical work.
just som of the advantages I used it for.

Mike,
Welcome to the forum! You might want to introduce yourself in the intro section.
We love pics of cubs too!
As for the blast media type, never use "sand" at all. It produces silica, and can cause respiratory problems.

Back