Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Sand or soda blasting

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

ffgosda

displayname
Frank F. Gosda
Soda is good for carburetors and soft metals like aluminum and pot metal. Wash with soap and water when done. One caution, if you are sandblasting sheet metal go easy. It can warp the sheet metal panels, stretch the metal and generally create havoc.

Stevenovick1

I just thought walnuts would help paint stick. I would never sand blast a motor. To much damage to motor or bearings carb etc.

kzintner

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Kurt
Getting my 70 ready for prepping, priming, and painting. I ran across an article at an automotive site about dry ice bead blasting. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on dry ice bead blasting versus the traditional sand blasting or walnut shell blasting?
Thanks

Stevenovick1

Walnut blasted my TH- 400 In my 1972 Buick Stage 1. Because Aluminum is soft. My Cub 1450 used a small bucket siphon feed blaster. I used Black magic sand “FINE”. Works terrific. no metal warp. Play sand works good but always has moisture in it. From Home depot. Sand has to be bought in paper bags. so it breathes.

Stevenovick1

I always use epoxy on bare metal. Then apply the paint. epoxy has (2) week window. So if you don’t want to sand primer your good. And epoxy will never rust

Stevenovick1

Nason makes a good epoxy. That you guys can afford. Great paint. I think Dupont bought them 20 years ago. They’ve been distributing it.

Stevenovick1

Kurt look at my pics under 1450 resto. That’s all epoxy. it i used the industry version. For bridges. Veeeety exspensive. over kill

bwstevens

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian W. Stevens
Dry ice blasting does a great job on assembled machinery for removing paint and crud . There is no residue as dry ice is just co2 . The only drawback is that it leaves any oils that is present. The key is to go easy on wires and gauges I used this process to clean food handling equipment.

Dennis Turner

Good for industrial equipment that has to be , worked on In location . you can’t clean up around
Removes the contamination, use a drop cloths of some kind layed down ,roll up and through it away ,easy clean up.
also cleans electrical cabinets with oily residue On wiring ,easy for electrical work.
just som of the advantages I used it for.