• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Replacing the pressure relief valve:

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwalker

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Richard Walker, Jr.
Replacing the pressure relief valve:

299628.jpg

Unscrew the pressure relief valve. To do this I needed to clamp the valve body in a bench vice. Use a clean rag and rap the valve body before clamping in the vice to avoid particles getting inside.

Before leaving the bench vise now clamp the pressure relief valve hex in the vise leaving the tamper cover exposed. In my case I needed to use some large Vise Grip locking pliers on the cover as there was no hex. Even then the cover did not come off easy.

Install the new pressure relief valve and torque to spec (mine required 30-35 ft-lbs)

Before installing the tamper cover I decided to install the valve and test the working pressure. The reason I did this is the amount of exposed thread on the center screw was different on the new valve compared to the old valve. After installing and testing on the tractor my suspicions were correct. The valve was not set to the correct pressure (700-800 psi) for my loader.

Setting the pressure relief valve is not that hard. There is a hex in the end of the center screw. Using an allen wrench hold the screw steady and back off the lock nut a little.

299629.jpg

My pressure was too high so I needed to back the center screw out several turns. I did this by one turn at a time. Remember to tighten the lock nut before testing.
In between each turn I grabbed a scoop of dirt and lifted it up watching the pressure gauge for the max pressure when lifting. After several turns out was able to set my pressure near 800 psi.
Once the pressure is set the tamper cover is then installed. Because mine did not have a hex I used the Vise Grip pliers again and locked it on as tight as I dare.

I hope this helps.

299630.jpg

Rich W.

Richard,

Nice work.

An easier and more accurate way to set the relief is to dead head the cylinder (lift all the way up or down) and hold the valve back at the end of the travel. At that point all of the oil is by-passing through the relief valve and the pressure on the system is the relief setting.

Richard,

Those little springs in the "tall end cap" are notorious for breaking.
That cylinder assembly is the same style once used on the floor scrubbers where I work.
I bet I changed out a set of springs at least every six months, or more.

Back