• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Replacememt for 149

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjackson

displayname
Chuck Jackson
i need a new carb for my 149. I have found a lot of options ranging in price from about $20. What is a good option? I previously cleaned up the original which got it running but it didn't run well after and soon quick working altogether.

Chuck - your 149 was originally equipped with a Kohler #30 carb, which I happen to think is you best option. Before you go replacing I'm wondering what you mean when you say you cleaned up the original carb? If you didn't install a basic carb kit I'd definitely start there. Assuming you have the original #30 carb the basic kit you need is Kohler Part No. KH-25-757-02. Charlie at CC Specialties linked at the top of this page, has this kit and most all the other parts you may need. This kit sells for $13. (Here's a pic and description). It includes the needle and seat, float hinge and gaskets. I like to clean all the little passages out with a stiff nylon type thread (usually like a broom bristle) that won't damage the passages, and lots of carb cleaner.
1599118173647.png

Genuine Kohler Carb rebuild kit for K301 thru K582, and KT series PN/ KH-25-757-02

$13.00
tup.jpg

I've hardly ever had an issue with the floats but if you think you might need a new one Charlie has it as well, Kohler Part No. KH-25-757-03S for $8.50

But the float bowl itself is another story. For some reason they usually develop little pits in the bottom that eventually start leaking. It's Kohler Part No. 235448S for $13.

Having provided all the above info also assumes your throttle shaft is in pretty good shape. If it seems to have slop side to side you can shim it up with a little bushing but it does involve removing the throttle shaft. Charlie has a bushing kit to repair the shaft and it's Kohler Part No. KH-25-158-02-S for $10.00.

So, for around $50 you can do a pretty good overhaul of the original carb.

If you still think you might want to replace the carb Charlie shows being temp out of stock of an original Kohler #30 replacement carb (and it will probably be fairly costly when he does get them). I see he does have an aftermarket replacement if you decide to go that route. His description says Aftermarket Kohler Carb Use KH-47-853-30 and it's $70. I don't know any of the details about it but can say Charlie does sell quality parts.

Hope his helps,

Yeah, my brother said the same thing. My other hobby is air cooled Volkswagens and so I am no stranger to rebuilding a carburetor. Was just hoping for a quick replacement . I see prices all over the place and thought that if one them was worth a little bit, I'd give it a shot. For me my cub is way more than I need on my yard but its what I grew up with and its what I want. Consequently,its relegated to doing the jobs that a small tractor does better and more easily than manual labor. That said, I use it around when I do need it, I usually have some repairs to make before hand. Looks like I will be cleaning and rebuilding a carburetor.

Chuck - suggest you see if you can find a Kohler K-series Engine Service Manual TP-2379. Section 6 has all the carb rebuild info you'll need, including details about setting float level, pre-sets for the adjustable fuel needles, throttle shaft rebuild, etc. I wish the Forum had this Manual but unfortunately it doesn't. I think the Kohler engine website use to have the manual available for download FREE.

Last edited:
The two issues with rebuilding the orignal Kohler carb. are the throttle shaft wears out and getting the main nozzle out of the carb body. I don't think i've had but one that I simply could not get apart, and it had sat with water in it for no telling how long.

There is a repair kit for the throttle shaft that puts a new bushing in where the seal goes. That works, but may not last as long as the original did. (The kohler throttle shaft kit is pretty expensive too.)

As far as getting the main nozzle out, usually heat from something like a propane torch will free it up. Don't get too enthusiastic with the screwdriver before trying heat.

I was going to say I don't have one of those Chinese Kohler copy carburetors, but then I remembered that the last 100 I bought has one. I haven't had to work on it yet.
I have looked inside the 7 hp.Chinese copy of the Kkohler carb. and it has a different, smaller needle than the Kohler carburetors used. I don't know where you would get one if and when the need arises. (The gaskets are identical, so the ones for the Kohler carb. would work.)

We'll see what I come up with. I really just want to turn a couple bolts and be done. I may try cleaning the one that's on it now really well and put it back together and order a replacement. If she'll run I'll aireate my lawn while I'm waiting on the replacement.

There is almost never a need to remove the main jet from a Kohler carb...I have rebuilt probably 50+ of these and never needed to remove one.

A couple of Hillman 58087A bronze thrust washers (try your local hardware store) will fit in a counterbore in the body of the carb to eliminate the worn throttle shaft problem. They are quick to make on a lathe if you are so equipped or have a friend that is.

I have had mixed results with cheap reproduction carbs for a variety of brands. Some work, some don't, some don't fit right, and the quality of the machined parts pales in comparison to the original carbs for all. Also do not be surprised to find metric threads on the replacements, so parts may not interchange.

Back