• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Removing head studs from K321

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbkrupar

displayname
Jim Krupar
Trying to remove a couple of head studs from my K321 - any tricks?

Put two nuts on each one, tighten them against each other, and then put a wrench on the bottom nut to spin the stud out. It'd be good to hit the studs with PB blaster or your other favorite penetrating oil before trying to loosen them.

Put two nuts on each one, tighten them against each other, and then put a wrench on the bottom nut to spin the stud out. It'd be good to hit the studs with PB blaster or your other favorite penetrating oil before trying to loosen them.
This. Or spend a chunk of change on a specialty tool to do it. I like the two nut solution if you can swing it, especially if you can run them down near the block so the stud doesn't flex as much.

PB Blaster is the best

Better yet, take to an automotive machine shop and let them remove. Can save your threads or thay can install heli-coils to prevent loosening after running several hours. My K241 on Lincoln weldanpower had two stuck and broke using jam nuts. $30 pretty cheap repair.

Double nut as mentioned before, if it still does not want to move use a drift punch on top of the bolt in the center and rap sharply once or twice.

Don’t forget to put some never seize on the head bolts when you put it back together to prevent any future problems

I swear by never seize, never had anything back out prematurely because of it!

Thanks for all the help. Was able to remove the head studs today after a week of soaking with Kano Kroil. Needed to remove as I have a rebuilt short block and need to send this block back for a core charge and the box wasn't going to close the head studs in place.

50/50 acetone and ATF is the best penetrant /rust buster on the planet. Cheap too... a quart of each will last your lifetime. The acetone is super thin and will draw the thinned ATF into the smallest crevices providing the lubricating capabilities in the deepest areas where needed.

Thanks for all the help. Was able to remove the head studs today after a week of soaking with Kano Kroil. Needed to remove as I have a rebuilt short block and need to send this block back for a core charge and the box wasn't going to close the head studs in place.

Where did you buy the rebuilt long block?

I bought the rebuilt block from Kustom Lawn and Garden & Clark Racing in Ohio. Arrived six week after ordering.

The core is worth up to $175 (from a phone conversation). Plan to ship back Thanksgiving week.

Back