• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

removing aluminum rod residue from a crank

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfcampbell

displayname
Robert Campbell
what way is a best way to remove all aluminum rod residue off a kohler crank journal so it can be measured then if needed ground? no, I wont use a torch any aluminum rod material smeared on a crank journal must be removed before measuring and grinding to undersize specs So, what can I use that is common and don't require exotic materials?

I have heard that lye is good for dissolving aluminum without damaging steel. Requires some personal protection equipment for safe handling so read up on it.

It will damage the steel, but about an order of magnitude slower than it will eat the aluminum off. When diluting, remember to always add acid to water and not the other way around. Keep some baking soda handy in case of spillage and to neutralize your mix before pouring it out.

It will damage the steel, but about an order of magnitude slower than it will eat the aluminum off. When diluting, remember to always add acid to water and not the other way around. Keep some baking soda handy in case of spillage and to neutralize your mix before pouring it out.
Man it's a good thing no one told me 50 years ago that muriatic acid would damage the steel. I would have never done it. Course common sense would tell me not to leave it in a 5 gal bucket for a week too. :ROFLMAO:

Man it's a good thing no one told me 50 years ago that muriatic acid would damage the steel. I would have never done it. Course common sense would tell me not to leave it in a 5 gal bucket for a week too. :ROFLMAO:
yes, I have heard maybe muratic acid might work wasn't sure

It will not eat the steel fast enough to make much of a difference as long as you don't leave it there for hours or days.

In the couple of times I have done this, the aluminum is gone in 15-20 min or less, and you can tell because the rapid fizzing and bubbling has more or less stopped.

I have heard that lye is good for dissolving aluminum without damaging steel. Requires some personal protection equipment for safe handling so read up on it.
I used lye - stove cleaner - this time (don't ask) it did not work as well as muriatic acid.
I have applied acid with a Q tip and the aluminum will turn black. Either way it needs to be finished with emery cloth.

Back