• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Remove Transmission Cover with Rear PTO?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the rear trans cover on an 1872/2072 without removing a rear PTO when equipped?

IMG_6376.jpg

Mine appears to be trapped by the PTO top pulley, which is trapped by the rock-shaft on the rear 3-point, which is trapped by the fender deck, which is trapped by a steel and glass hard-cab mounted on top.

:rolleyes::poop::rolleyes::poop::rolleyes::poop::rolleyes::poop::rolleyes::poop:

Art, hopefully you didn’t break something.

I'm pretty sure you can but never did. With that engineering marvel, I would think if you are that far into it I would pull it apart and check all the bearings, pins and couplings.......What were these people thinking when they designed them? I replace all bearings, pins and couplings on the ones I have.
DSCN0924.JPG

Oak-
Thank you very much for that picture! I didn't realize the clutch rotor just slid off the shaft, which then exposes the four socket head screws. Once I removed those, the clutch field coil came right off, so now mine looks like yours and the back trans cover should come right off. Thank you, you've saved a ton of time now that the fenders and cab do not have to be removed!

2-IH_Thumbs_UP_WHITE-2.gif

Last edited:
Art, did you not get the PTO/3 Point Installation Manual when you bought the 2072? Or did you forget to look at it. ;) It may have given you clues to the PTO clutch rotor sliding off.

Kraig-
LOL! Yep, I have the manual, and read it, but I was using the online version and was going from memory since I didn’t have the laptop in the garage with me. (I hate getting greasy fingerprints on old manuals). I tried pulling the rotor off initially, but it didn’t budge. After seeing Oak’s pic, I realized I needed to pull harder, and the rotor came right off.

Hope to pull the rear cover tonight and make sure it’s all cleaned out as some goof put JD Hydraulic fluid in it. 😂

Hey, I wasn't the one that put the JD Hydraulic fluid in it, though I am related to them. :)

i have been trying to find the rear pto and rear lift for my 2072 but no luck, not sure what i would use rear pto for but would love to have anyway

Back