• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Remove front PTO clutch.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an older Cub Cadet 129 model. It has been sitting around for several years and the set screws that hold the clutch assembly to the bearing are badly rusted and I am not able them get to loosen so I can remove it. I have soaked them with PB blaster and have had no luck. I know someone on this forum has the answer. Thanks.

How long have you been soaking it? Weeks may be needed someitmes. Blaster is good, but you should consider other sprays. AeroKroil is another good one. There are other good choices, plus several poor choices (WD-XX). Fill the holes (as many as you can at one time), maybe try heat.

Here is a link to a thread that starts with a stuck PTO, but the screws came out of this one:
https://www.ihcubcadet.com/threads/upgrade.10277/#post-241964
Try searching PTO removal, and other variations at top right. THere have been a few threads just this year on this.

When I have a stuck Allen, I ping it in the center with a small enough punch to not damage any of the flats or corners. Insert the punch, and tap it a few times to start vibrations. Do not use an Allen with any wear, or a ball-end. The fit must be perfect with as much surface contact as [possible when trying to remove stuck set screws. Don't forget there should be two screws per hole. Check for more...

How long have you been soaking it? Weeks may be needed someitmes. Blaster is good, but you should consider other sprays. AeroKroil is another good one. There are other good choices, plus several poor choices (WD-XX). Fill the holes (as many as you can at one time), maybe try heat.

Here is a link to a thread that starts with a stuck PTO, but the screws came out of this one:
https://www.ihcubcadet.com/threads/upgrade.10277/#post-241964
Try searching PTO removal, and other variations at top right. THere have been a few threads just this year on this.

When I have a stuck Allen, I ping it in the center with a small enough punch to not damage any of the flats or corners. Insert the punch, and tap it a few times to start vibrations. Do not use an Allen with any wear, or a ball-end. The fit must be perfect with as much surface contact as [possible when trying to remove stuck set screws. Don't forget there should be two screws per hole. Check for more...
I would try a product called Zepreserve. It is a Zep commercial grade rust eater! First spray and let sit 24 hours. Take small butane torch and apply heat. Use a Allen socket only! And high quality with nice square new edges. I use Snapon allen sockets and took my pto off with 1/4 drive ratchet. You might need soak few times and let sit to the zep soaks in.

Make sure those holes and set screws are clean. You could take a small pick and break up the dirt and grime in the set screw holes. Mud daubers love to use these holes.
Anything you can use to clean out the holes will help too. Brake cleaner, electrical cleaner, etc. You could also carefully run a tap into the hole to help clean up the threads before removing the set screws.
As stated by others, it is very important to use a nice new/mint condition allen on those screws.

Make sure those holes and set screws are clean. You could take a small pick and break up the dirt and grime in the set screw holes. Mud daubers love to use these holes.
Anything you can use to clean out the holes will help too. Brake cleaner, electrical cleaner, etc. You could also carefully run a tap into the hole to help clean up the threads before removing the set screws.
As stated by others, it is very important to use a nice new/mint condition allen on those screws.

After you do all the cleaning suggested by Marty (and then drained out the cleaner stuff) I'd use some compressed air to blow out the screw holes.

Back