• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Reliability and capability questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about one acre in NM and am new to the cub cadet game. I have a 62 or 63 original cub, Im hoping to rebuilt my new machine into a reliable unit that i can maintain the driveway and 1/10 rc race track.

My question is what are the limitations and reliability issues

I have about one acre in NM and am new to the cub cadet game. I have a 62 or 63 original cub, Im hoping to rebuilt my new machine into a reliable unit that i can maintain the driveway and 1/10 rc race track.

My question is what are the limitations and reliability issues
If you can get enough traction, you can pull a house with it! (y)

off road or dirt oval or what style rc track ? use to race dirt oval here in northeast usa. or what they call eastern dirt mods.
then the slash came out and changed everything hahhaa. now they put a edm body on the 2wheel slash lol ..

AARON - I'M slightly biased towards slightly newer Cub Cadets, the models 70,71,72,73, and larger. I've helped build several RC tracks, I made a 40 inch wide angling belly mount grader blade that can really move some dirt, made from a piece of replacable cutting edge from a real road grader and my home-made turntable or pivot. Nice thing about the belly mount is you can stand on the ends of the blade and force it to grade deeper. Lugged tires, chains, and wheel weights really help too. I've used mine to level the grade to pour a 20x60 ft concrete driveway, landscaped around my In-law's in-ground swimming pool, leveled a dozen or more single axle dump truck loads of dirt, used my 72 and cart to move the dirt, emptied into windrows, then while the other 3-4 guys cleaned up for lunch I graded everything, I felt like I was on a TD-25!
The blade REALLY works good at clearing ice up to an inch thick off my concrete driveway, I take about a 6 inch cut with the end of the blade, no chains needed, works best if it's melting, within an hour or two it's bare DRY concrete. And I leveled the yard all the way around my house while re-landscaping about 8-10 years ago. I removed about 30,000-40,000# of crushed granite from around our house, the plastic visqueen was left over very uneven black dirt, which I substantially altered the grade on 3 of the 4 sides of our house, added about a half acre of lawn I mow every week. Grass and weeds were growing up in the rocks, had to spray a gallon of Round-up concentrate every month or two all summer.
I put the CC in 1st or 2nd gear at an idle and go, angle the blade or tip the ends. One afternoon I moved about 30,000# of dirt away from the side of our house, a prior owner graded the dirt to slope towards the foundation, I removed that entire rise with my loader on my Super H FARMALL and 982 CC and my hyd dump cart, took about 3 hours. The 70 and grader blade leveled the area in an hour.
SO YES, you can build an RC track.

AARON - I'M slightly biased towards slightly newer Cub Cadets, the models 70,71,72,73, and larger. I've helped build several RC tracks, I made a 40 inch wide angling belly mount grader blade that can really move some dirt, made from a piece of replacable cutting edge from a real road grader and my home-made turntable or pivot. Nice thing about the belly mount is you can stand on the ends of the blade and force it to grade deeper. Lugged tires, chains, and wheel weights really help too. I've used mine to level the grade to pour a 20x60 ft concrete driveway, landscaped around my In-law's in-ground swimming pool, leveled a dozen or more single axle dump truck loads of dirt, used my 72 and cart to move the dirt, emptied into windrows, then while the other 3-4 guys cleaned up for lunch I graded everything, I felt like I was on a TD-25!
The blade REALLY works good at clearing ice up to an inch thick off my concrete driveway, I take about a 6 inch cut with the end of the blade, no chains needed, works best if it's melting, within an hour or two it's bare DRY concrete. And I leveled the yard all the way around my house while re-landscaping about 8-10 years ago. I removed about 30,000-40,000# of crushed granite from around our house, the plastic visqueen was left over very uneven black dirt, which I substantially altered the grade on 3 of the 4 sides of our house, added about a half acre of lawn I mow every week. Grass and weeds were growing up in the rocks, had to spray a gallon of Round-up concentrate every month or two all summer.
I put the CC in 1st or 2nd gear at an idle and go, angle the blade or tip the ends. One afternoon I moved about 30,000# of dirt away from the side of our house, a prior owner graded the dirt to slope towards the foundation, I removed that entire rise with my loader on my Super H FARMALL and 982 CC and my hyd dump cart, took about 3 hours. The 70 and grader blade leveled the area in an hour.
Can you provide some pics of this grader blade? Would like to see how you mounted on the tractor.

[/QUOTEi
off road or dirt oval or what style rc track ? use to race dirt oval here in northeast usa. or what they call eastern dirt mods.
then the slash came out and changed everything hahhaa. now they put a edm body on the 2wheel slash lol ..
Would call it a baja short course. Lol its pretty wild

Wow sounds like it will be a good friend to have.

Attachments

• 20211031_131357.jpg
    20211031_131357.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 109
BRAD - The support for the blade are two 1/4" thk steel plates, one about 8-9 inches square, lower one the blade is welded on is 8-9"round. They pivot on a 1" bolt about 6 inches long, The top plate has four little pieces of angle iron bolted onto the plate with short 1/2" bolts attaching the blade to the mower deck mule drive frame. There's a series of 3/8" holes in the top plate on the front to angle the blade in about 15 degree increments in both directions. My blade is 40 inches long IIRC, the back end of the blade gets really close to the rear tire, and the front end has just enough room to miss the front tire at any steeriing angle and occilation of the front axle. The mule drive is completely stock. Both 1/4" steel plates have pipe welded onto them to better support the 1" pivot bolt, and a couple gussets on both top of top plate and bottom of bottom plate and gussets supporting the blade. I parked the front wheel of my '78 F-150 4wd pickup on the blade before I started with the blade unsupported in the middle, just supported on the ends, it didn't bend at all, hardened high carbon 1/2" thk and 6-7" tall with a curve pressed into it to roll dirt. The end that broke off was angled and not straight, I had to cut it off, think that took me about 3 HOURS. I used every hack saw blade I had, ripped every tooth off every blade, went to hardware store, bought a dozen new blades, cheap blades lasted seconds, the really expensive ones would cut for a short time. Farmers used to almost fight over the old grader blade edges the township road commissioner took off, they used them for scraping edges on their manure loader buckets, the factory edges maybe lasted a year. Funny story about grader blades, SON worked for Deere Davenport Works for 10 years. Most of the time installing attachments to road graders. Somebody in the office forgot to order grader blades one year. Same company that made Deere blades made CAT blades, but CAT ordered theirs on time. And they don't interchange.

Back