• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Red triangle light on electric Enduro 42 won't go out

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacqueline Jones

Is there a simple way to fix it? It won't even come on anymore! I live so far out in the country that cub cadet is having difficulty finding a repair person to come to my house. I've only had the darn thing for 10 months!

Hello Jacqueline. Welcome! We were discussing this electric mower service problem in another thread. The problem is probably more related to finding an electrical technician within the Cub Cadet network than it is related to your location. There are tons of techs who have been tinkering with small engines since they were kids, and can be easily trained to be service technicians for gasoline powered mowers. The number of potential techs who have been tinkering with electric or electronic machines who want to work on mowers instead of computers, or robots is in short supply.

When was the last time the tractor started and operated properly?

From the Cub Cadet website, there is a 3 year residential-use warranty, so at 10 months, let's hope you will be covered.

From what I have been able to learn from the few details online, that light might mean to read the fine manual. (The bold is not directed at you, it is a reminiscence of days gone by on this forum, or a past incarnation anyway.) Or that light might indicate that mowing in reverse is enabled. Have you read the mower manual carefully to see if it includes details on anything that you may have done in error? Possibly charging or not charging the battery incorrectly? The battery charger supposedly came with a manual that I have not found online. Read that one too.

I see a notation in the manual that the machine cannot be started unless the key is fully inserted. Could it be getting stuck partially in?

The next item of interest is the Safety Interlock System.
From the manual:
• The safety interlock system prevents the operator from turning the tractor
ON unless the operator is in the seat with the parking brake engaged or
brake pedal fully depressed and the drive pedal in the neutral position.
• The tractor will not operate with the charger cord plugged into the charging
port and/or the charging port cover open or removed.
• The tractor will automatically shut off the blade(s) and drive motors if the
operator leaves the seat.

Are you meeting the criteria they set forth here?
1)Seated on the mower
2)Parking brake engaged
3)Brake pedal fully depressed
4)Drive pedal in neutral
5) Charger disconnected from tractor
6)Charging port cover in place and closed
7) Not mentioned in the manual is likely that the blade PTO be disengaged (press yellow PTO button , hold for one second, light goes on-PTO is engaged. Press and hold for one second again, light goes out, and PTO is disengaged.

The triangle light's primary purpose is to indicate when the tractor is in Reverse Caution Mode which allows backing while blades are engaged. Press and hold the triangle button for three seconds, the light comes on, and RCM is enabled. Press, and hold triangle for another three seconds and RCM is disabled and light goes out. Similar criteria to starting must also be met to enable RCM.

Is there an image of a blade cutting grass with the flashing triangle? If so, the tractor thinks there is a blockage at a blade motor that needs to be cleared.

Has the battery become fully discharged?

Suggestions:
-Hold the triangle button for three seconds to see if it stops flashing.
-There may be a "secret" reset if you hold the triangle button for longer than three seconds. Try.
-Do you have a way to fully remove power to the tractor, like a disconnect, or a battery connector that could be separated? If so, try opening the connection to cycle power (think computer reboot). Try for at least 15 minutes, possibly an hour or even a few.
These require an electrical meter and testing which might void whatever warranty remains:
-Test the switch that determines the parking brake is on
-Test the switch that determines if the operator is in the seat
-Test the PTO on/off switch
-Test the RCM switch
-Test the forward/NEUTRAL/reverse pedal potentiometer- it may not see neutral

Items noticed in the manual:
They do not want the operator to leave the seat with the blade PTO engaged, so I suspect it might cause confusion in the electrical components in addition to being a safety hazard.
Nowhere do they mention a flashing RCM light. It may be a troubleshooting feature that they are keeping to themselves.

Hello Jacqueline. Welcome! We were discussing this electric mower service problem in another thread. The problem is probably more related to finding an electrical technician within the Cub Cadet network than it is related to your location. There are tons of techs who have been tinkering with small engines since they were kids, and can be easily trained to be service technicians for gasoline powered mowers. The number of potential techs who have been tinkering with electric or electronic machines who want to work on mowers instead of computers, or robots is in short supply.

When was the last time the tractor started and operated properly?

From the Cub Cadet website, there is a 3 year residential-use warranty, so at 10 months, let's hope you will be covered.

From what I have been able to learn from the few details online, that light might mean to read the fine manual. (The bold is not directed at you, it is a reminiscence of days gone by on this forum, or a past incarnation anyway.) Or that light might indicate that mowing in reverse is enabled. Have you read the mower manual carefully to see if it includes details on anything that you may have done in error? Possibly charging or not charging the battery incorrectly? The battery charger supposedly came with a manual that I have not found online. Read that one too.

I see a notation in the manual that the machine cannot be started unless the key is fully inserted. Could it be getting stuck partially in?

The next item of interest is the Safety Interlock System.
From the manual:
• The safety interlock system prevents the operator from turning the tractor
ON unless the operator is in the seat with the parking brake engaged or
brake pedal fully depressed and the drive pedal in the neutral position.
• The tractor will not operate with the charger cord plugged into the charging
port and/or the charging port cover open or removed.
• The tractor will automatically shut off the blade(s) and drive motors if the
operator leaves the seat.

Are you meeting the criteria they set forth here?
1)Seated on the mower
2)Parking brake engaged
3)Brake pedal fully depressed
4)Drive pedal in neutral
5) Charger disconnected from tractor
6)Charging port cover in place and closed
7) Not mentioned in the manual is likely that the blade PTO be disengaged (press yellow PTO button , hold for one second, light goes on-PTO is engaged. Press and hold for one second again, light goes out, and PTO is disengaged.

The triangle light's primary purpose is to indicate when the tractor is in Reverse Caution Mode which allows backing while blades are engaged. Press and hold the triangle button for three seconds, the light comes on, and RCM is enabled. Press, and hold triangle for another three seconds and RCM is disabled and light goes out. Similar criteria to starting must also be met to enable RCM.

Is there an image of a blade cutting grass with the flashing triangle? If so, the tractor thinks there is a blockage at a blade motor that needs to be cleared.

Has the battery become fully discharged?

Suggestions:
-Hold the triangle button for three seconds to see if it stops flashing.
-There may be a "secret" reset if you hold the triangle button for longer than three seconds. Try.
-Do you have a way to fully remove power to the tractor, like a disconnect, or a battery connector that could be separated? If so, try opening the connection to cycle power (think computer reboot). Try for at least 15 minutes, possibly an hour or even a few.
These require an electrical meter and testing which might void whatever warranty remains:
-Test the switch that determines the parking brake is on
-Test the switch that determines if the operator is in the seat
-Test the PTO on/off switch
-Test the RCM switch
-Test the forward/NEUTRAL/reverse pedal potentiometer- it may not see neutral

Items noticed in the manual:
They do not want the operator to leave the seat with the blade PTO engaged, so I suspect it might cause confusion in the electrical components in addition to being a safety hazard.
Nowhere do they mention a flashing RCM light. It may be a troubleshooting feature that they are keeping to themselves.

The red triangle does not flash. I have tried pushing the red triangle button in for 3 seconds and letting it go. It still will not go out. I have tried holding it in for longer than 10 seconds. It will not go out. I have tried holding it in for just half a second. It still will not go out. I'm going to look underneath at the motor blades and see if there's a blockage though later today.

The last time I used the riding lawn mower was May 14th. The red triangle light did not come on until May 19th. I'm going to later today when I'm fully awake make sure that the key is inserted fully and that the cover to the charging port is down like it should be

So, I'm assuming this is the Reverse Mow button, and the light that's supposed to turn on doesn't?

I have a couple questions.
One, does the mower still work? Can you still drive and mow?
Two, have you tested the reverse mow function? Perhaps it still works even if the light doesn't? I would test that and see if it actually works. Perhaps the light had a defect and burned out early?

So, I'm assuming this is the Reverse Mow button, and the light that's supposed to turn on doesn't?

I have a couple questions.
One, does the mower still work? Can you still drive and mow?
Two, have you tested the reverse mow function? Perhaps it still works even if the light doesn't? I would test that and see if it actually works. Perhaps the light had a defect and burned out early?
The mower won't come on at all so no I cannot drive or mow but it booted up today like it wanted to start when I use my leaf blower on it which made me think that maybe as you or someone stated earlier the motor needed cleaning out and boy oh boy did it! I spent 2 hours getting rid of all the dead grass that was stuck in there, but the red triangle stays bright red even after all that

Cub cadet finally found somebody that's coming Wednesday to pick it up and take it back to their shop. Thank goodness is still under warranty

As to your second question about testing the reverse function, it won't start at all so I can't test anything

Thank you for the clarification. I did not know whether or not the machine was functional. Unfortunately, you are not the only one to experience an issue like this. It seems that these electrical issues are common.

I wish you luck with getting it serviced, but as mentioned above, there's a definite lack of service technicians who can/want to repair these machines.

Before Cub cadet even started selling these electric mowers they should have had at least five people in every state trained and certified on how to repair them. Whats going to happen most likely if they're not careful they may end up with a bunch of complaints file with the state attorney general's office. I spent almost $5,000 when you add in the the extended warranty and accessories.

A shop in Richmond Hill Georgia is training to learn how to repair them and that's where my machine is going. I guess they will use it as a guinea pig for their training classes LOL

It's good top hear you have gotten the deservd attention of Cub Cadet. Good for you.

I wonder how I jumped to the light flashing?
Hmm. That's probably one of the reasons I don't do phone support at work.

My baby gone to the shop now. But why is dude grinning so hard? I guess he's just a happy person lol IMG_20210526_121007725.jpg

Let us know what they find. Don't just let them drop if off with the simple "all fixed". You may need the info someday when you are out of warranty

Smh! I just wanted to update you guys on what has happened so far. Nothing has happened so far. I drove all the way to Richmond Hill Georgia to the shop where the mower is supposed to be fixed at. They said that they ran a diagnostic on it. And guess what folks? The diagnostics says there's nothing wrong with it! How can that be when the thing won't start??? So they said they are waiting on the technicians at Cub cadet to call them back in the meantime I'm on half an acre pushing a 20-in lawn mower and I'm dying out there okay?? What cub cadet needs to do is send me a new mower and not a discontinued item like mine is. I guess you guys didn't know that the one I have now is discontinued and I bought it June of last year!!

smh anyway they need to send me the new one that they got out now. That's what they need to do or else I will file a complaint with the New Jersey State Attorney General's office. Again this sister does not play! I spent almost $5,000 on this dog on thing!

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the status.

You’ve gotta love the self-diagnostic...everything’s fine. It’s like the mower thinks its entitled to lay around and not have to earn its keep.

I just filed a complaint with the Ohio State Attorney General's office. File a Consumer Complaint - Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost

The info below is cub cadet headquarters info
5965 GRAFTON RD Attn: Mr. Bob Glawe, VALLEY CITY, OH, 44280, United States
(800)800-7310 (Daytime),(330)225-2600 (Daytime),(800)269-6215 (Daytime)
(800)676-0260 (Fax)
http://mtdproducts.com
Anytime you have a problem with a business or it's products and services, find out where the headquarters is located for that company and contact the State Attorney General's office and file a complaint. It's highly effective!

I TOLD Y'ALL I'm not one to play with!!

Latest posts

Back