• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Red Tail light covers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanbill44

When I received the tractor from my Dad the red covers were broken but taped together. Can you still buy these or should I super glue them together.
B69AEA50-9AAF-4EAC-ACDF-AB51FE1C2B3F.jpeg

Hey Bill - I don't know why Charlie didn't mention it but if your white plastic mounting/backing plates are still good you can use his amber colored lenses he has available. They are exactly the same as the red lenses just different color, and the price is a WHOLE lot better.
Wide Frame AMBER Tail Light Lenses PN/ IH-55187-C1 use IH-55187-C2 Set of two
Fits 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149, 169, 800, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1250, 1450, 1650
$20.00 Set
tup.jpg

Bill - if you're restoring the tractor and painting it up then at some point you'll want the pretty and nice RED tail light lenses. If you're just starting out and trying to get the tractor into shape to use then your super glue idea may work for awhile or you can go ahead and get those Amber color lenses from Charlie. They actually look pretty good on a nice painted tractor - unless you happen to take it to a show and park it with all the other IH Cub Cadets that have nice red tail lights. :roflol:

Miles - these lenses have been a really big search item for quite some time. Lots of stories in the Forum archives. The 2 manufacturing company(s) have been identified (maybe it's actually 3 now since 1 bought out the other, and I think the 3rd bought out the 2nd) but no one has really found any other really good replacements. I have seen one red one that fits the base mount but I don't think it looks close at all.

Ok thought might be worth a shot. Hope folks find what they need. I've got a 100 myself so I'm not looking

I'd never heard about those amber lenses. (need to browse through ALL of Digger's catologue!) I've been looking for options, too. (Haven't all of us with those models?) Has anyone had any experience with "stained glass paint", or staining plastic lenses, with some kind of chemical stain? Maybe something like clothing dye? The question might be how to "fix" the dye to be permanent. Is there any kind of stain that will "soak into" the plastic?

Miles - if you've got lights on your 100 including the rear Grote light then you have nearly the same situation finding a replacement red lens that actually fits. If you can find an original NOS Grote lens it will cost you about as much or even more than Charlie gets for the Wide Frame (1x8/9 and QL series) tail light lens and base.

Reynold - I see you're way up there is the frozen tundra territory so I can understand you maybe trying a whole lot of various fixes. I think painting plastic lenses would be something really hard to have result in anything decent. I think I'd try to find some used lenses even if they have some cracks, if you gotta have red and for some reason can't use the Amber ones that Charlie has.

Reynold - I see you're way up there is the frozen tundra territory so I can understand you maybe trying a whole lot of various fixes. I think painting plastic lenses would be something really hard to have result in anything decent. I think I'd try to find some used lenses even if they have some cracks, if you gotta have red and for some reason can't use the Amber ones that Charlie has.
Yeah, mine are kind of cracked and damaged. Bases, a bit, too. The lenses are actually slightly different from each other, too. For temporary use, got some cheap red clearance lights that I'm going to rig up with LED units. No new holes in metal, can always go back to original if funds become available. I do need some kind of rear lights, don't want to be vulnerable at the end of the driveway, clearing snow at night. Also have gone to the local coffee shop on the 149 . . . was in a hurry to get to a meeting, didn't have time to grab the truck. Small village living . . .:roflol:

Miles - if you've got lights on your 100 including the rear Grote light then you have nearly the same situation finding a replacement red lens that actually fits. If you can find an original NOS Grote lens it will cost you about as much or even more than Charlie gets for the Wide Frame (1x8/9 and QL series) tail light lens and base.

Thanks for your imput. The lenses on my front and rear are good. Guess I should have been a bit clearer. Hope we're not hijacking his thread

Thanks! My goal it to stop the rust and restore it. I will be looking to get the new red lenses.
If you're going to use it at all, I'd get both. Put the red ones on when you take it out to a show or snap some pics, put the amber ones on while using it...otherwise you just KNOW what will eventually happen...I mean, that's why they're always broken and originals are expensive and harder to come by.

Here's what I received earlier this year from Levine Auto and Light trucking. Purchased four for just under $25 with shipping. Bases were included. They look and fit great.
1592583323453.png

Back