• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Recommendation for Ag Tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgalante

displayname
Stephen Galante
Anyone who wants to share some advice... I have a Model 1512 Diesel, that I am in the midst of getting a 3 point Hitch & Brinly adapter for. I am not going to be entering any plowing contests, but I think it would be good to add a set of Ag tires in the back. I'm not sure if front Ag tires would be really useful, would they? I am looking to which brand and model is my best bet. I need 23 x 10.5 x 12. I have seen one of the sets of Carlisle 2 ply at my local Tractor Supply, store. I believe they are the "Super Lug" since they are the only 2 ply tire that Carlisle makes in that size. Will these be a decent tire to use in my smallish home garden? Or should I be looking at a different tire. The cost is $70.45/each. I know my regular turf tires would probably work, but is it worth the money to get AG tires and if so, what should an extra set of rims cost me for them? I think I prefer to have both sets of tires, just to save my Suburban home lawn.

If anyone has a place I can order similar/better tires/rims at a good price, let me know. Thanks in advance for all your help. You guys are the best. SteveG

You will need the ag tires if you plan to do any plowing or ground working with the tractor. You can put snow chains on the turf tires and get the same results, but its a real pain in the butt to clean the mud out of them turfs! I change all my tractors over to ags shortly after getting them. Cheers Mike and Michele T

You can mow with ags, in fact they often do less damage to grass than turfs since they are not as likely to spin out.

I prefer Titan/Carlisle Tru-Power 4 ply rear tires on all my 10.50x23 applications, and Firestone 23 deg Field & Road for my 8.50x23's.

I don't own a tractor with turfs on it and my lawn looks like a golf course. Skip the extra rims and buy a set of Tru-Powers, you'll be happy!!

Stephen, I run Super Lugs on my Cub Cadets. 2 sets of two plys and 1 set of four plys. I have been really happy with my tires from Tractor Supply. 2 plys work fine if that's the direction you want to go. I also run 50lbs of fluid and 70lbs of wheel weights per tire on my 2 plies when I plow. No tubes and no leaks.

Mike T.
The secret to getting mud out of turf tires is to park in a clean garage. It falls out like magic! Cheers

Stephen G:

I mirror Steve B recommendations and experiences.

thumbsup.gif

Good one Jerry!! I bet parking one in your parents clean garage makes it fall out even faster! LOL Mike and Michele T

Thank you everyone so far for your replies. Glen, is the fluid filling something I can do, or it better left off to a dealer? If so, what would I or they be filling them with? I already have the weights for when I use my tractor in the winter. I have a 54" blade with the hydraulics and I have been using chains in the winter. Would I need the chains in the winter if I went with Ag tires? Thanks again. SteveG

Stephen G. When you say that you desire Ag tires and won't be using it for plow day events intriques me to inquire as to the need for ag tires. The PO of a 1650 that I will soon be bringing home used his Cub Cadet for mowing lawn, snow removal with a blade, plowing his garden with a Brinly plow and pulling two Brinly discs behind his tractor with standard turf tires with chains. You must have a hilly yard or mowing area to want the added advantage of Ag tires. You will still need chains in the winter if you plan on using your 1512 for snow removal. If you don't have a hillside yard or plan on plowing at Plow Day events then you could actually get by with just getting a set of chains with the turf tires on your Cub when you do your garden work. As far as weights are concerned. The 1650s PO to my knowledge just had one set of IH weights on the tractor for all the above mentioned work the Cub performed with no fluid added. Yes, ag tires are neat and eventually I will have a set for each of my Plow Day Cubs. For now for what little I use the Cubs for such I don't find it necessary to have ag tires on all the time.

I also agree with Steve B. I was skeptical last year when I started using my 149 with ags to mow the grass. It has 50# of fluid in each rear tire and 70# of wheel weights. You can see the lug marks in the grass right after you mow from the extra compaction of the weight only on the lugs of the tire. But a few hours later you can not tell they were there. I have a few hills in my lawn and the 129 used to slip a little if you tried to turn up them wrong. The 149 has never slipped once.

Stephen, I think you are seeing that there are alot of different options that work well. I never mowed with wheel weights on. Aggies were enough. You will also have your fuel tank hanging over the rear end for extra weight. Your 1512 is front heavy with the Kubota in there so rear weight will help.
Now when we talk about how to add fluid to tires you will see many opinions on this as well. I added my own fluid by mounting my aggies and inflating. I then deflated and broke the bead. Stick a hammer handle between the tire and rim and pour the fluid in. Air back up when done. Others use other methods. Those with tubes may use a "tire bong" and maybe someone will post this deal with pictures. I use RV antifreeze in mine.
I have found that tire chains are a must in winter around here. Turfies or aggies. I use chains.

Tru Power's
4 ply 8.5 and 10.5 by 23 by 12 on 102, 129, 129 w/ front blade and 1450 with loader.

I use them on the lawn and anything else that gets in the way..

1 pair weights and fluid..

North Carolina.
No plowing (yet). muddy bottoms and boggy ground.. Bush whacking etc...

have Fun

Dudley

Back