• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Rear End Oil

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hauled bulk lubricants in the past to case- Holland assembly plants. I picked up certified product from this place. Their brand is packaged from tank that they loaded my product.

Attachments

• F467FA8C-2DAD-4712-BA1C-F1FB91EC3922.png
    F467FA8C-2DAD-4712-BA1C-F1FB91EC3922.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 135
Digger should i order my Hy-Tran before the new supply Distributes?
I've not gotten any info on the new formulation yet. But I'm thinking that if CNH says it's gonna be good enough, that's good enough for me. Course I'm settin on 10 55 gal. barrels and 8 30's, so I'm good for a while.

Any of you guys use this from Napa? Thanks

Well Hi-dee-ho-ho, here we go again on the ole HyTran.

Mark - yup, I've used that NAPA fluid that claims it meets the IH HyTran Plus spec on the label. I really can't speak to how good it is. It seemed to work alright but I never had a chance to check it after long term use. I found out later on there is no standards association for tractor fluids like there is for auto oil (i.e. SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers which you see on the label of almost every oil bottle/jug but not on tractor fluids). So NAPA's claim to meet spec is only NAPA's claim not backed up by anyone else.

Would I use the NAPA stuff again? Well, if the price of HyTran was sky high out of this world in comparison I'd probably go for it. But I'd have to think about it for a good long time. My first thought question would be, how long will I use it before I change the fluid again? And my answer would be, oh probably 10 plus years if not longer, and I'll explain why I'd go that long in the following info. (I would change the filter around 100 hours or every year).

Over the years IH made changes to their recommendations listed in the Operator Manuals for changing and checking the Transmission fluid.

For the early Hydrostatic tractors including the 123, 105 and 125, IH did show a recommendation in the "Lubrication Table" to change the transmission fluid every year, and to use IH HyTran fluid. But, when you reviewed the "Lubrication Guide" in the same Manual it only mentions changing the filter at 100 hours and topping off the fluid. (Note if you look at the Table and Guide sections for the Gear Drive tractors they both state to change the transmission fluid yearly, but the Table does say you can use SAE30 oil or HyTran in the Gear Drive tractors).

Then, in the Operator Manual for the 107, 127 and 147, IH changed the "Lubrication Table" under the column titled "Change at Hours" to just show Add As Needed, effectively saying it doesn't need to be changed. The Table does show use of IH HyTran as the fluid. Under the "Lubrication Guide" section IH shows changing the filter at 100 hours but does not mention changing the fluid. In this same Manual, looking at the Gear Drive tractors the "Lubrication Table" just shows Add As Needed (no yearly change). The use of SAE30 oil in Gear Drive tractors is no longer listed in the Table. The "Lubrication Guide" still mentions changing the transmission fluid yearly.

And finally, the Operator Manual for the 109, 129, 149 and 169, shows Add As Needed under the "Lubrication Table" and under the "Lubrication Guide", and to change the filter at 100 hours. IH HyTran is the only recommended fluid. Looking at the gear drive models, 86, 108, 128, in the same Manual there is no change interval. It just states to Add As Needed, and check periodically, and the only fluid recommendation is IH HyTran.

So - where does that leave us???
Well, over time it seems IH decided you really didn't need to change the "HyTran" transmission fluid in the Hydrostatic drive tractors. You only needed to change the filter every 100 hours, check the fluid level and top it off. IH also decided it wasn't necessary to change the fluid in the Gear Drive tractors AS LONG AS it was HyTran fluid.

So - HyTran is the GOOD STUFF and really doesn't need to be changed. However, I do wonder if IH ever expected these tractors would really still be in use after 40-50+ years? And that's partly why I think changing the fluid every 10 years may be reasonable, and changing the filter every year is a good idea.

I will tell you every time I bought a tractor I would change the transmission fluid. There was no easy way to tell what fluid was in there or how long it may have been in there so safest thing to do was change it (along with the filter if it was a Hydro tractor).

Some of you may know that the Gear Drive tractors have a drain plug on the tranny case but the Hydrostatic tractors do not. I've drained the fluid from a few gear drive tractors and know for certain the first thing to come out was about a quart of WATER!!!! I don't know if the water separated from the HyTran or if someone had used oil or some other fluid in the tranny. Since a Hydro tractor doesn't have the drain plug I couldn't try the same thing. When I've drain the Hydro tractors I've removed the back inspection cover and the fluid just rushes out. I've never seen it look just water.

So, for me it's HyTran unless the price is out of site. I know it's good stuff. It's got to be a BIG reason these tractors are still around and in use.

How much would i need after Draining my 1450? And my 122. or just use 30w
in the 122?

Steve - if you're gonna use SAE30 in your 122 tranny then you really need to change it every year (just like the manual recommends). If you use HyTran it'll probably be good for 10 years at least and won't need to be changed - just like the later Manuals show.

If I recall correctly the John Deere 140's and 120 model used a sunstrand hydro pump similar to an IH cub cadet. Does anyone know what John Deere's recommendation was for the oil? Or did they have their own version of hy-tran oil produced and packaged for them like International harvester? Just curious because you see those old 140's still around now and then too after all those years.

If I recall correctly the John Deere 140's and 120 model used a sunstrand hydro pump similar to an IH cub cadet. Does anyone know what John Deere's recommendation was for the oil? Or did they have their own version of hy-tran oil produced and packaged for them like International harvester? Just curious because you see those old 140's still around now and then too after all those years.
Years ago, Mother Deere got in a pissin match with Sauer over what fluid to use because they wanted something other that what Sauer told them to use. Needless to say Sauer won the battle and deere moved on to something else.

Back