• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Radiator hoses for a 1512D?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgalante

displayname
Stephen Galante
My dealer has told me that he would like to replace the radiator hoses on my 1512D. I know that my water pump is leaking and I'm not sure if the radiator hoses that he wants to replace are 100% needed or just a suggestion based on the fact that he says they are the original ones. This particular mechanic isn't one to make me buy things I don't need.

I have the tractor at home, and was just waiting for him to get all the parts ordered. He just called me to tell me that both the upper (735-3020) and lower (735-3019) radiator hoses are NLA. Did some searching around and found a reference on another forum that the Kubota part K7311-85150 will work for the upper hose. According to the poster, "there is a bell end on it that will need to be trimmed off, but other than that, it is as close to a match as you're probably ever gonna find." I guess it is from a Kubota RTV500.

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the lower radiator hose (735-3019) or have any ideas?

If anyone has a different idea on a a replacement for the upper hose, that would also appreciated.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

A few years ago, I decided to try and track the origins of this hose beyond the Cub Cadet number. After stopping at an IH Scout restoration shop in Ames, at where I was given a phone number to call for obsolete IH parts. This is what I figured. IH like anywhere else would not necessarily have a part custom made unless necessary. I can't remember the northwestern Iowa company's name however I was right. A gentleman said the part was connected to an older IH self propelled mower conditioner as far as he could tell. It would be something with a radiator in behind the front of the engine or such. This is all he could give and that the part cross referenced was again NLA through IH. I remember something about some owners have experienced going to a good NAPA and there is a hose that can "will fit" with some modifications. I tried looking up self propelled mower conditioners and all I found was an IH model 4000 made in the late 70- early 80s.

Rick, Looks like I'm in the same boat as well!

There is an outfit that makes SS water tubes for big rigs that always advertises in 'Overdrive' magazine. Southpointe Radiator in Buffalo, NY. They advertise custom tubes made.I usually replaced the lower one on my Cummins after a few years on account of corrosion from road salt kicking up from the front wheels. I wonder if they could repro a tube that would work, but w/such short bends on the ends, one would have to use a rubber elbow there secured w/clamps to the tube. Either way, however, it would still require a rubber connector on each end.

If someone had a hose from a diesel, maybe they could make them to fit??
My 2 cents worth anyway.

Bernie, thank you for the suggestion. Those certainly aren't cheap, but one has to do what one has to do. I have actually cut my grass a few times since I had the problem, and haven't lost any fluid. Technician swears the water pump was leaking, and I know when I was cutting really high grass in the field behind my parents house, I was losing fluid from the radiator and the temperature gauge kept going up past the safe zone before making stops to clear the screen in front and top off the radiator. That replacement for the the top radiator hose I found a possible replacement from a Kubota RTV, is only going to cost $21 or so. That will get me less than 1 1/2 feet of that hose you linked to, but if that is what I need to buy, I'll have to buy it. I have seen a few references to bring the hose to NAPA and buy a couple hoses and connectors to build one that way also. I'll have to see the best way to accomplish this.
Thank you again.

Here's a trick I have used for years on hot rods with motor swaps.

I find a radiator hose that has 1 (if not) 2 sections or bends that will fit either the radiator or engine connection. And use chromed kitchen sink pipes cut to length between the 2 rubber ends.

Example: when I put a larger aftermarket radiator in my '78 F-150 with a 408cu. in engine it, the factory hoses no longer reached the connections and the radiator was a smaller hose on the bottom.

So I cut the bends of the upper hose leaving a straight shot between the 2 hoses, inserted a 12"x1 1/2" long sink pipe with the lip cut off and clamped it in place.

The lower hose was similar, except a had to make the O'reilly's guy bring out a bunch of hoses so I could find the right bend with give right size. Repeated the process above and done.

The end result was a very nice chrome radiator hose sections with proper fitting, hose ends.

When everybody asks where I found the "aftermarket" hoses to fit my truck, the get a funny look on their face when I say Lowes plumbing isle.

It is literally "sink tail pipe" or "sink extension.

Nic,

Check out my turbo install thread.....same same.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Sink p traps also make good chrome exhaust tips for 82 series mufflers

I use to work in automotive engine cooling. We used this hose as a general purpose hose on the radiator test stands. This hose lasted as long or longer than formed OEM hoses. There are hose I.D.s from 1.75" to 2.75" and various lengths. This is what I would use, short of a formed hose that fit.

http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploads/2/1/9/0/2190100/gates_coolant_hose_selection.pdf

I have in the past gone to local parts stores with a used hose (custom application) and looked through their in stock assortment of formed hoses and often found something that would work.

Jim

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.
Jim, I think that flexible hose from Gates may just be the answer to my prayers for the lower radiator hose on my 1512D. If the dealer hadn't already ordered the upper replacement hose from the Kubota RTV500, I would probably replace that one with the flexible one also. Now to get down and measure the length and ID I need!

Stephan, When you get your replacement hose, please report back, maybe with a picture or two comparing it to the old one, and as to the fitment of it when installed.

I believe there are more than a few of them out there that need replaced.

I apologize for it taking me almost a year to reply back to my original question, but I finally had my dealer take care of my radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat and a few other things to keep my 1512 in top running condition. It was the water pump that was leaking, but replacing the rest of the hoses and thermostat was highly recommended since they were the original items since 1985 or 86.

Here are the specifics for anyone needing to replace both radiator hoses.

Top hose gets replaced by the hose from a Kubota RTV with a little bit of one end trimmed. It is Kubota part #K7311-85150. Cost was about $25.

Lower hose was the problem. They used 7/8" ID heater hose. I guess that isn't a very common size to find, but the dealer ordered 3 feet of it, and with quick shipping and everything, it was over $50. I Googled 7/8" heater hose and found some Gates green stripe for about $4.59/foot at O'Reilly. That looks like it would work.

Rest of the parts using the description on my bill of sale:
Water pump: 15852-73053
Water pump gasket: 16851-73430
Pipe Water Rtn 2: 15841-73350
Pipe 3Water: 15841-72870
Gasket Thermostat Cover: 16851-73270
Thermostat: 15531-7304
Total Cost for above 6 items: approx. $195.

The big shocker money wise besides the 7/8" heater hose was 4.75 hours of labor. That did include an oil change, a check of the roll pin that seems to fall out every couple of years in the drive shaft and adjusting the air gap. The majority of the time was spent taking everything apart to get to the water pump and such. I trust this mechanic fully, so I know he was honest about the time spent.

I hope this information helps those looking to replace their radiator hoses and water pump.

Any chance you can update us on how this fix worked out? The hose off the RTV - any issues other than the one end needing to be trimmed? What about lower hose, any issues with it kinking or stuff? Any chance you have pictures of the fix?

I used that upper hose several years ago w/no issues on my 882.
Take that list of parts to your Kuboda dealer and see what is available.

What did you use for the lower hose? The upper one is still available, $25 cdn, so reasonable price. Did you get to use the lower hose from the RTV as well or you need to get another hose?

Cub Cadet: Lower Radiator Hose, Part # 735-3019

According to this site, they are listing that lower hose as available. It's probably a mistake, but it is worth an email or call to verify...

Cub Cadet 735-3020 - Hose, Upper Water : Arn's Equipment

Same goes for this NOS upper hose...
Perhaps? Was hoping Digger would have something but doesn't look like it. Local cub dealer is who said it was NLA. Like to see what the hose off the 500 RTV is like. Fingers crossed it will work for the engine I have.

Another suggestion if the above prospects don't work: take your current hoses to your local auto parts store. If they will let you, find their stock of hoses and see if one can be matched up with similar shape and correct diameter. I have done this for other projects and actually found good matches.

Another suggestion if the above prospects don't work: take your current hoses to your local auto parts store. If they will let you, find their stock of hoses and see if one can be matched up with similar shape and correct diameter. I have done this for other projects and actually found good matches.
Unfortunately I don't have any hoses. Its a modification I'm doing to a 662 kubota

you might do what us old hot rodders do.. measure up the two ends you need to go over. Then get a length of stiff wire and bend it to the shape of the hose you need, cutting the ends of the wire so they don't enter the fittings. Use that at a part store if you can to match up to a hose. it works ok when you have nothing to go by.

Back