• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llapple

displayname
Larry C. Lapple
Here is a strange question for any of the experienced mechanics on this forum: I have several hand pump grease guns. I use them rarely, only at service time at the beginning and end of a season. Every time I pick one up, the grease has liquified, dribbled out, made a mess and is empty. I have tried storing them in the garage, shed and even the basement to no avail. Any suggestions for preventing the mess and waste and recharging the gun every use?

I use a 5 gal. bucket, and hang them on the rim so they drip into the bucket. All my grease does not run out, just a small amount. Doubt you could find any grease that doesn't leak a little in a span of a year or two. I would say a good quality tube of grease wouldn't leak as much.

If it makes you feel any better, I travel the continent servicing printing presses, and every time I need a grease gun, it must be my turn to replace the cartridge. They are always empty, or the last guy who changed it never got it to prime...

If it makes you feel any better, I travel the continent servicing printing presses, and every time I need a grease gun, it must be my turn to replace the cartridge. They are always empty, or the last guy who changed it never got it to prime...
This Post made me chuckle. Yesterday, I went to grease my snowplow as I get ready to put it away. Doing it as it was snowing. I have three grease guns, flex hose, hard hose and a sharp right angle gun. Two of the guns had about 5 pumps left in them before emptying. There's no gauge on them so you always get surprised. FORTUNATELY, both guns primed without me wearing half the tube on my hands.
Nice but too much $$ https://www.grainger.com/product/LINCOLN-Grease-Gun-Lever-Grease-Gun-3LKR6

Last edited:
It used to make me angry, but it’s been going on so long now, it’s just become a comical fact of life for me.

It does make me feel a little better that you did it to yourself two out of three chances.

There's a screw at the handle end you can loosen. This will allow the air to escape and the spring pressure will prime it for you in a few pumps. Just be sure to tighten it back down. Others have a spring button type. :bluethumbsup:

I need to install a hydro transmission in my 1811.The info from the data tag is as follows, 547628R91,90-1029 and 02-LA 225. will this transmission interchange?

I need to install a hydro transmission in my 1811.The info from the data tag is as follows, 547628R91,90-1029 and 02-LA 225. will this transmission interchange?
What does your post have to do with grease guns?

Start your own thread and don't hijack someone else's. (y)

There's a screw at the handle end you can loosen. This will allow the air to escape and the spring pressure will prime it for you in a few pumps. Just be sure to tighten it back down. Others have a spring button type. :bluethumbsup:
I certainly know how to bleed it, it just never seems to want. My Lincoln gun has a schrader valve type bleeder while the other two have Plugs. They just never seem to get it always have to loosen the whole top. The gun gets greasy, I get greasy and, just, yuck.

Good morning JD, I know the title of the thread says QUESTION so it may be lead you to think that all questions start here. . This thread was a question on grease guns. For your question to be look at by more people, it would be best to start a new thread and title it some more specific to your questions. Hope this helps.

I also have a love hate relationship with grease guns. I started using the 5 gallon bucket years ago, solved 1 problem.
I don't recall how many times I'm on the last zirk and the gun runs dry. Upon inspection there's plenty of grease but it's on the wrong side of the plunger.
More than once I bought a new grease gun that would not prime and the common problem of grease everywhere after working on a gun. I have an air gun but like the feel of working the gun and the feedback it gives. My last prchase was at Ace and the person the got me to the right location proudly said he'd never used a grease gun!

I know of a product that one of the channels that I watch on YouTube talks about. He has shown them, and really likes them. One big reason, they don't leak....

It's called a Lube Shuttle. It uses a different kind of tube, and it doesn't have the spring/plunger. He has said the tubes are a bit more expensive, but if you don't use a bunch of tubes, then it's not much different. They also have a "re-loader " to fill them from a 5 gallon bucket if you use more grease..

There it even a code for a 5% discount........ LOL

I use a 5 gal. bucket, and hang them on the rim so they drip into the bucket. All my grease does not run out, just a small amount. Doubt you could find any grease that doesn't leak a little in a span of a year or two. I would say a good quality tube of grease wouldn't leak as much.
The lithium premium works best stuck, and gun put in a 5 gal bucket for little drips and they all do a little if it !!!!! Ol Cat man !!!!

Back