• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Question on the 169

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Colonel

IHCC Supporter
Has anyone ever seen the engine mount bolts stripped out on a 169 ?
I always thought the engine vibrated a lot on the tractor and got into it the other day. Found three of the four mounting bolts missing. Could only get the bolt catty cornered from “ the one” to take a bolt and tighten up. So currently have two bolts holding engine in place. Is pulling the motor the only fix ? Will I have to replace engine block ?

IIRC the motor mount bolts go into the oil pan. Pull the motor, pull the pan, and inspect to see if you can rethread the pan somehow...inserts, coils, ???
Or shop a good used pan at RF Houtz, or the wanted classifieds.

Check it out first to make sure what is wrong. The bolts may have just vibrated out.
As Jim stated, I would take the motor out of the tractor and check the bolt holes. Clean them out real good, and look at the threads.
You could run a slightly shorter bolt into the holes to see if it tightens up. If they all do, put it back in. Put some Loctite 242 (medium strength) on the bolts, along with lock washers and tighten it back down. You should be good to go. :bluethumbsup:

Check it out first to make sure what is wrong. The bolts may have just vibrated out.
As Jim stated, I would take the motor out of the tractor and check the bolt holes. Clean them out real good, and look at the threads.
You could run a slightly shorter bolt into the holes to see if it tightens up. If they all do, put it back in. Put some Loctite 242 (medium strength) on the bolts, along with lock washers and tighten it back down. You should be good to go. :bluethumbsup:
I do believe the threads have stripped as I can start a replacement bolt but it won’t tighten up. Spins in the hole.

You are gonna have to pull it out, either way. :(
Odd that the bolts wallowed out the holes before they fell out. :scratchhead:

Marty’s on it. I don’t want to like the statement that the holes are probably wallowed, though. Before you know it, other things will be thinking they can wallow their holes too.

I would pull the engine, remove the oil pan and look for a replacement on one of our vendor sites or a member... If those holes are wallowed out then you would have to take it to a machine shop and have them helicoil it and you would be better off just replacing it... I think all 12 hp to 16 hp pre-quietline oil pans will fit...

Last edited:
Also torque the pan bolts to spec and don't use loctite because if it is torqued correctly you should not need it.. And if you use a lock washer do not use a split lock as they don't last in high vibration environments... Use a toothed washer instead..

Again, you will have to take the motor out before passing a verdict.
That motor would have had to be jumping around pretty hard to wallow the holes out. If the bolts just loosened up in the beginning, they should have just backed out over time.

Have a question about crankcase vent. I removed carb to attempt rebuild. Wanted to check crankcase vent due to some oil seepage around governor shaft. Found what appears as steel wool behind cover. Is this “normal” ? Please see attached pics.

Attachments

• C44D27F6-8FDE-4340-AD23-A30968D5709B.jpeg
    C44D27F6-8FDE-4340-AD23-A30968D5709B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • BA58A5CC-1056-4406-9EA3-733396EFE06E.jpeg
    BA58A5CC-1056-4406-9EA3-733396EFE06E.jpeg
    1,011 KB · Views: 0
Yes, that is normal. That is what the oil vapor condenses on so it can drain back into the crankcase.

Back