• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

QA-42A speed up pulley

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it worth it? Also, the pulley says 3 1/2” and the belt below it says for 3” pulley.
If you have a 4 paddle thrower, yes it's worth it if you do it right. If not, don't mess with it.
1644197581447.png

Looks good to me! I do have the four paddle. I also did the flapper mod and just did a new belt, chain, and both cogs. Changed the gear box lube, too! What a difference. Looks like I’m gettin a new pulley. Thanks 👍🏼

Here's a photo of a common two paddle and the less common four paddle. The two paddle has two auger flights on each side that meet in the center at one paddle, the two paddles being 180° apart. The four paddle variant has each auger flight meet at its own paddle, each paddle being 90° apart.

Two paddle:

Two Paddle Thrower.jpg

Four Paddle:

Four Paddle Thrower.jpg

Curious about this mod too. I just learned that I have a 4 paddle. I'm considering this for next winter. Whenever i turn mine on, i cross my fingers it won't shear a pin. There is 1/8 turn play in the gear box, and I worry about the needle bearings, as I haven't even seen those provided by perts shops.
To do this mod, it seems these things should be replaced.
1. Belt + pulley
2. Cogs ... I'm thinking both gears in the gear box
3. gear box lube
4. Flapper mod
Any thing else? I replaced my chain and master link last year

@digger if I did those things would that be considered "doing it right"?

Curious about this mod too. I just learned that I have a 4 paddle. I'm considering this for next winter. Whenever i turn mine on, i cross my fingers it won't shear a pin. There is 1/8 turn play in the gear box, and I worry about the needle bearings, as I haven't even seen those provided by perts shops.
1. Belt + pulley
3. gear box lube
4. Flapper mod

Not impressed with the flapper mod myself, but.
Here's the correct things to do.
http://cubfaq.com/thrower.html

1. Belt + pulley
3. gear box lube
4. Flapper mod

I just rebuilt my QA-42A. I also didn’t know if the 2 or 4 paddle auger. Does the “A” make the difference? Just curious. As far as your key way goes, I caught a rock in the chain adjuster and wiped out what was left of an already worn out shaft cog. After I rebuilt the entire thing, re assembled, and test fired, is when I found the key way sheared! I’m glad I did my due diligence! Everything else was good on mine. Auger and needle bearings were surprisingly tight. Be aware, you have to cut off the old gear on the auger and weld it back on. I’m not too worried about aligning the drive smaller speed up pulley. Took me 8 hours start to finish and it was a leisurely pace. Hope this helps. 👍🏼

I believe the QA42 has two paddles and the QA 42 A has four paddles and a longer chute.
I've got 3 QA42's settin here with 4 paddles and also have 2 QA42A's with 2 paddles. Same applies to the QA36's, no rhyme or reason that I ever found when or why they made the 2 styles. Course I never really dug into it either. (y)

It's screwed up - I went in my garage this morning and sure enough, I have a 4 paddle on my 1450 and hadn't even noticed the difference. The other QA42A I have is a 2 paddle and the CW36 is a 2 paddle. I guess I was just used to seeing them that it didn't stand out to me...

I've got 3 QA42's settin here with 4 paddles and also have 2 QA42A's with 2 paddles. Same applies to the QA36's, no rhyme or reason that I ever found when or why they made the 2 styles. Course I never really dug into it either. (y)
Well then my 2/4 paddle theory isn't going to fly. What about the longer chute and the adjustable mount only on QA42A's? I've also noticed that angle drives are different also, 3 mounting bolts versus 4. Internal parts seem to interchange.

Not sure if it is linked to the 3 bolt vs 4 bolt mounting, but some gearboxes have room for the seal outside of the bearings, some do not. :( They may also need a different shaft length as a result. I need to grease my bearings and change to cold weather grease instead of gear lube . . . Unless, PO used a tiller gearbox on the thrower? I've got a 1:2 gearbox ratio. Is that right?

It's been a few years since I repaired my angle drive so, my memory may not be all that accurate. But both gear boxes had sealed bearings no additional seals were on them. One gear box had had all four bearings that were the same. The other had three the same but one bearing was narrower than the others. Other than that, I believe the gears and shafts were the same.

It's been a few years since I repaired my angle drive so, my memory may not be all that accurate. But both gear boxes had sealed bearings no additional seals were on them. One gear box had had all four bearings that were the same. The other had three the same but one bearing was narrower than the others. Other than that, I believe the gears and shafts were the same.
I only changed the goo. I didn’t do any repairs on that.

Back