• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

QA 42 top link lift arms

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdostie

displayname
Jerry Dostie
I bought a QA42 blower with curved top link lift arms. I would like to replace them with straight lift arms. Anyone interested in an even trade?

Just an FYI, I believe the model with curved top links would be a QA42B, it might also have a wider pulley for use with the 5/8" belt/PTO of the 82 series Cub Cadets. The straight top link version would be a QA42A and have the narrower pulley for use with the 3/8" belt/PTO of the older series Cub Cadets. Out of curiosity, does it have an ID plate on it? Best wishes on your trade. (y)

Kraig, not to hijack this post, but is that, (the top link and pulley) the ONLY difference between the two throwers??

In other words, a QA42A with the links and pully would fit on an 882??

David, refresh my memory, is the 882 a Super GT, I don't recall at the moment? The QA42A with wide pulley and curved top links would fit a 582, 682 and 782 but not a 982.

Forum trivia: I should mention that a few years back we had a discussion on whether or not IH ever actually made a QA42B. They made a QA36B but during that time (82 Series) the H48 was available to fill the +40" size offering for a snowthrower. It doesn't mean that home brew QA42B spec snowthrowers are not out in the wild. :)

882 is a standard GT. Same thing as a 782d or 1512.

The only difference I know of is the curved links and different pulley sheave width. I do believe the "b" blowers are also 4 paddle blowers while most of the older ones are 2 paddle blowers.

I have a QA-36B and it has 4 paddles, curved links, and the 5/8 pulley on it.

1572460937779.png

This is from my CPE-2 dated Sept of 1980, so I'd lean towards there not being a QA-42B for the reasons you state, Kevin.

David, thanks. There are however, 4 paddle 42" QA42A throwers, so it can't be a B only deal on the 4 paddles.

David, thanks. There are however, 4 paddle 42" QA42A throwers, so it can't be a B only deal on the 4 paddles.
1572461543869.png

My guess would be the 59 746/747 C1 are the 4 paddle rotors and the 397 028/029 ones are the 2 paddle ones.

I guess my question would be, why do you want to change links? Curved top links will work fine on any IH Cub Cadet and some of the CCC ones. The difference is, with the straight links, when you raise the thrower, the thrower tips back toward the tractor. With the curved links, it lifts more straight up, keeping it farther from the hood/grille.

I believe the curved arms started later in the Quietline run. I have a QA42A that came with an early 78 1650. I think it’s a 4 paddle also. We also have a QA36A with straight links, and I like the extra room the curved links give on the wide frame tractors. I can see why they are a must if it’s used on an 82 series tractor.

So is the 5/8" pulley available anywhere to convert a standard QA42A to a B?
I see Charlie has the curved upper links available.
I'd sure like to install the QA42A on my smoker this winter.

So is the 5/8" pulley available anywhere to convert a standard QA42A to a B?
I see Charlie has the curved upper links available.
I'd sure like to install the QA42A on my smoker this winter.
IDK about the IH part (# 78 055 C1), but I believe it's a 4 1/2" pulley with a 3/4" finish bore and a 3/16" keyway.

Dodge - MB45X3/4 This one might be close enough but I haven't tried it.

Nothing special about that pulley. Match the bore size and key width, the diameter and B belt width & it will work. Got mine at an Ace Hardware store. Can drop down a bit on diameter to increase the thrower speed a bit but make sure you would have enough belt tension adjustment.

The curved links were on the B-model throwers to accommodate squashed (flanged outboard) frame for the twin cylinder engines in the 82 series Cubs. The straight links would hit squashed area when you raise the blower.

I checked and it is a QA42A. The reason I wanted to trade them out was two fold. It is on a 149 so I wanted the straight arms to be "authentic". The other reason is that when I lift the unit, it has very little clearance. I was thinking the curved linkage affected the height and if I switched them to the straight arms, it would increase the clearance. Maybe I just need an adjustable lift rod to be able to raise it higher?

How far is it lifting? It should be 3 or 4 inches. If it just barely clears the ground, I would look at all the spirol pins in the lift. We had a 149 that every fall we had to replace the pin from the arm that connects to the lift cylinder to the rock shaft. It would only lift the plow like an inch. Replace the pin and it would lift fine. Or it could be the pin in the arm on the outside of the frame by your right foot, that the lift rod connects to.

I would also measure the lift rod. The are different lengths from wide to narrow frame.

I don’t think the curved links have anything to do with lift height. I run mine on a 1650 and get the 3-4 inches of lift. As for the authentic part, that’s up to you. If the thrower was purchased after the 149, it may have had the curved links, just like mine. The QAxxA throwers were sold for a long time after the end of the 1x8/9 series ended.

Scott N., posted above that it should have increased clearance with the curved links. You might get a bit more lift height with the straight links based on Scott's info as it will tilt back some. but then:
dunno.gif

Here's a design for an adjustable lift rod:

AdjustLiftrod2.jpg

I checked and it is a QA42A. The reason I wanted to trade them out was two fold. It is on a 149 so I wanted the straight arms to be "authentic". The other reason is that when I lift the unit, it has very little clearance. I was thinking the curved linkage affected the height and if I switched them to the straight arms, it would increase the clearance. Maybe I just need an adjustable lift rod to be able to raise it higher?
I don't think it affects the lift height at all. None of the CC blowers lift high. It's not until you get to the 3000 series that things really were done right, IMO. Everything else is rube goldberg contraptions.

Thank you all for the info. I will check the pins that Scott mentions. Now knowing the curved arms shouldn't affect the lift height, I will keep them. Once again, thanks all

Back