• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

QA-42 Snow Thrower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john.knutson

displayname
John K
Picked up a QA-42 Snow Thrower yesterday. I also picked up a cast end deck from the same guy last week, still need to get some pics of that but it does cut pretty great.

I did get the chain guard, there is a stuck bolt that I need to extract and replace. I also got a spare chain tensioner (not sure the proper name for the part). The PO said that something was off on this one so the gentleman he got it from provided a spare. I cannot tell what is wrong with it, and everything turns really great.

Looking through ccmanuals.info I see there is a QA-42 as well as a QA-42A, what's the difference? Some searching on this forum indicates that the QA-42 was strictly for narrow frames, while [at least some of] the QA-42A models could be adjusted for either. PO stated that this was adjustable so I believe this to be a 42A. He had either a 102 or a 122 so it has likely not been used on a wide frame recently.
IMG_20200511_181147.jpg

IMG_20200511_181819.jpg
IMG_20200511_181816.jpg
IMG_20200511_181813.jpg

I forgot to add, I need to get a belt for it. I didn't see anything that specifically stated it would work with my tractor/thrower combo, but I should be able to get some measurements once I get everything mounted up in the next couple of days here. I did get 2 brand new belts that previous owner said didn't fit, so maybe I can figure the "right" size out based on those. He also said to look for a belt with a deep V, otherwise they can twist in the pulley.

It appears that the drive shaft U-Joints are not indexed properly. The U on each end of the shaft should be aligned. It appears that they are off by a few degrees. This driveshaft uses a splined joint (rather than a square one that some use) so it is a few teeth off, easy fix. Here's how it should look:

qaxxasnowthrower09a-jpg.136703

It appears that the drive shaft U-Joints are not indexed properly. The U on each end of the shaft should be aligned. It appears that they are off by a few degrees. This driveshaft uses a splined joint (rather than a square on that some use) so it is a few teeth off, easy fix. Here's how it should look:

Great to know! I will make sure to get those aligned before I fire it up.

It appears that the drive shaft U-Joints are not indexed properly. The U on each end of the shaft should be aligned. It appears that they are off by a few degrees. This driveshaft uses a splined joint (rather than a square on that some use) so it is a few teeth off, easy fix. Here's how it should look:

Uhhh...what am I missing?
I went back and looked at the photo multiple times...curious, what stuck out that got your attention?

Kraig, et al - I hate to say this but I believe your info on the driveshaft U-joint alignment is NOT correct. It has been my understanding the U-joints are supposed to be 90degress out of alignment with each other. I know the Op Manual shows them aligned, but if you look at the NOS part Charlie has it's 90degrees out. I could be ALL WRONG but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hydro Harry. Kraig / Steve B., are both correct on the driveshaft. If you assemble them 90 degrees from each other it will induce a vibration as the joints accelerate/decelerate at opposite times. A quick google search will verify this information for you.

Well, ok guys - I did say I could be "all wrong", but then what's the story with Charlie's NOS shaft. I stole this pic of it from his website
cw36 driveshaft.jpg

Well, ok guys - I did say I could be "all wrong", but then what's the story with Charlie's NOS shaft. I stole this pic of it from his websiteView attachment 138317

Hydro, if you look close at the photo, the U-joints are not even 90° out, more like 80°. I think John has it correct that it was slid apart then put back without concern for alignment.

Just an FYI for some of the newer members, Hydro and I go way back to the early years of the forum so I felt comfortable being a bit jovial with my reply to him. I wouldn't as likely do that with a new member I don't know as well.

Hydro,
wave.gif

Hydro, if you look close at the photo, the U-joints are not even 90° out, more like 80°. I think John has it correct that it was slid apart then put back without concern for alignment.

Just an FYI for some of the newer members, Hydro and I go way back to the early years of the forum so I felt comfortable being a bit jovial with my reply to him. I wouldn't as likely do that with a new member I don't know as well.

Hydro, View attachment 138335

Kraig,

The worst that might happen is he might whine...... LOL

I agree with Kraig....because he agrees with Me!!!!!!!!! 😂😂

If you want lots of vibrations...get them out of phase!!! :) :) :)

Back