• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

QA-42 Snow blower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1E5274FE-41E5-46D3-8E6B-65A44993A303.jpeg

Just realized that this is in excellent shape. The Gentlemen i bought this from says it runs well. Need some pointers on what to check for wear n tear.

I have a new 2020 F-250 plow truck. So i don’t need it. But my neighbor has a tight squirrelly steep driveway with a telephone line pole beside it. So i’m not gonna get pinned against that pole in my New Ford. He had his knees replaced so next year i’m gonna service his driveway for him.I guess i better get chains too.

The ratchet strap is hooked on something that the guy who owned it told me to cut off wheel the welds. And remove that extender. He said he added it.

That's a QA-42A. The welded on extender is on the lift point, probably for more leverage for lifting it. Not really needed especially on a hydraulic lift Cub Cadet. No need to add the rubber flap to it. Just clean out any rust that may inside of the auger housing and discharge chute and get a fresh smooth coat of paint on it. Then top coat that with a graphite paint like Slip-Plate. This will help prevent snow from building up and plugging it up. If the flights on the auger are bent over, straighten them up and weld any that are cracking or split. If it's in real bad shape might be worth looking for a second QA42A or QA42 that has a better auger. Can you post a photo of the auger? I'm curious if it has a two paddle or a four paddle auger.

Here's a couple photos of my QA-42 after I refurbished in back in 2000.

QA42_01.jpg

QA42_02.jpg

And a photo of it back in 2014.

1968 Cub Cadet QA42_01.jpg

Here's some action photos that were taken back when the 125 still had the tired old K301. The snow was about 6" deep and was a heavy wet snow from a March snowstorm. No modifications were made to the QA-42 other than the graphite paint. Well, I did modify the skids, but that doesn't effect the snow throwing performance of it.

125 Action_01.jpg

125 Action_02.jpg

125 Action_03.jpg

Just realized that this is in excellent shape. The Gentlemen i bought this from says it runs well. Need some pointers on what to check for wear n tear.
Nice ! I just restored the same one , grease fittings, lube up moving parts , make sure you tighten belt tensioner up or it will slip and clog blower with snow ! If you paint use a silicone spray in the chute and augers to help prevent clogging.

Graphite paint will last much much longer than the silicone spray. The graphite paint in the auger housing was only painted once and it lasted for 18 years then I semi retired it when I bought a new tractor. I would repaint the inside of the discharge chute every other year or so as needed. You should open up the gear box and inspect the gears and replace the lube. See Mike P's thread on his QA-42A:

qa-42a-blew-up-the-input-gear-today

Also inspect the chain tensioner for wear. On the driveshaft input side the driveshaft tends to wear the aluminum bracket. I added some thrust washers on mine that stopped any further wear. The thrust washer should go between the aluminum tensioner bracket and the driveshaft where I have the arrow pointing:

QAxxASnowthrower09a.jpg

Back