• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

QA-42 driveshaft issues?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyd

I took the driveshaft on my QA-42 blower off and discovered that it seems to be frozen - doesn't slide. I think its supposed to telescope in and out when you raise or lower the blower. I think that being frozen puts a lot of axial stress on the needle bearings in the sprocket mounting bracket. That's why I had to replace them too. Tried freeing it up with PB Blaster then pounding on the outer sleeve with a brass drift but can't move it. Anybody run into this problem and have a solution? Also there is a retainer cap that keeps a cork seal in place. Any idea where I can find the cork seal? I suspect water got past the seal and rusted up the driveshaft sliding feature. There's a zerk fitting to pump grease in but previous owner must not have greased it - that's why it's frozen I think.

Joeyd - I can't answer your question about a cork seak or retainer cap, but yes, the shaft should telescope. I do keep mine well greased, and hearing of your problem will certainly ensure that continues!

Have you checked out the Parts Lookup? There's a link in the first thread in this forum area. It should give you all the info you need regarding parts.

Others here will likely chime in with replies more helpful than mine. Good luck.

I'd take as much of that ass'y apart as possible and clean the grease from everyning as good as possible,
Then soak the 2 parts that are stuck/rusted together in vinegar for a few days,
This should/will turn the rust to mush pretty much and you should be able to get them apart.
That is, unless the parts (splines) are worn to the point of really being jammed/galled tight together then all bets are off.

Joeyd, I was going to suggest the same as Davis S. except I'd try diesel fuel. Your not far from me, bring it over and we can toss it into the parts washer, I keep a blend of diesel fuel and mineral spirits in it, it can set there submerged for a few days. Then I can try pulling it apart for you. A come-along between my bench vice and arbor press should stretch it apart I'd think...

OK thanks for the advice. I have a parts washer with kero in it, I'll drop it in there for a few days. We'll see if that frees it up. If not I'll try the vinegar. In the meantime I pulled a functional driveshaft off of another QA I had sitting around so I got the snow cub up and ready for the next snowstorm. Hoo-ray!

Latest posts

Back