• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Pulling tractors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbranstetter

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian Branstetter
I've always loved going to tractor pulls. Went to a few this year and wanted to share a few pictures. I think I may have found a tiny little tractor thief in the process.

261849.jpg

261850.jpg

Brian - I have to agree, tractor pulling IMO is the Ultimate HP sport. NHRA Nitro dragster & funny car frag racing is good, really good, but there's nothing like five or six 526 CID supercharged Hemi's running FLAT OUT pulling for all their worth for 300+ feet. And the diesel super-stock & Pro-stock tractors are my favorite, but I do like the alcohol tractors too.

Dennis - as long as I've been around drag racing, you'd think I'd disagree with ya, but for real excitement, nothing like the big multi-engine Modifieds and Diesel Super Stocks pullers .. It's not over in 4 seconds like top fuel (well, if everything works OK, that is) and you can really see the skill of the drivers at work, second by second...
Shift.gif
beerchug.gif

GERRY - You very rarely see supercharger drive belts break on nitro race cars anymore, they must change them every round. On a 5-6 engine pulling tractor you're just about guaranteed to see a couple blower belts break during a pull. Pullers don't spin their 14-71 blowers as hard as drag racers, (I always have to laugh at a "14-71 blower", DDA never made a "14-71" engine, 6-71, 8-71, 12-71, 16-71, never a 14-71)

The diesel & alcohol super-stocks are really cool, I especially like Brian Korth, from just down the road 30 miles around Beaver Dam, WI. Beautiful Case/IH's "Armed & Dangerous", & "Excessive Force". Brian jumped away from the NTPA circuit two weeks ago to compete in a charity pull in Hillsboro, WI sponsored by Lucas Oil on the Pro Puller's circuit on MAV-TV. He spanked his old pulling buddies pretty good, took 1st & 3rd place points away from the regulars!

Also on the Pro-Puller's circuit there's Nick Skaar on "Screamin' Norwegian", who lives about 12-14 miles away, also a new Case/IH. There used to be a real active puller's club around here 20 yrs ago and Nick would come in and beat up on everybody with his dedicated 1066 puller. There was one 4430 JD that used to come close to his distances, even saw the JD win once or twice. One summer SON & I went to watch pulls at least every other weekend if not every weekend. A co-worker pulled an antque Super 88 Oliver that was more like a 1950 Oliver. It's amazing the work those people do to "get an edge" over the competition!

Finally, after about a month, I am well enough to venture outside beyond dragging myself to work everyday. I probably would have gotten better quicker if I would have stayed out of work, but the bills, and especially the catastrophes never take any sick time!
Anyway, I made up my mind If there were no more catastrophes this week I would go to the tractor pull Saturday evening. I made it, along with a bag of cough drops, a few Kleenexes, and some earplugs.

I didn't get to take any pics because my camera quit working (one of my catastrophes), but I had a good time anyway. I hadn't been to a tractor pull in years, so I had some learning to do.

I found out you don't want to sit down wind of the track. Good thing I had those cough drops, because I did some coughing when those "coal rollers" came by. I swear I can still smell that burnt diesel.

I also found out that you can't see sitting in a chair, that you need to be up in the bleachers with those hard seats under your butt for hours. Next time I'm taking a nice cushion instead of a folding chair.

I also found out that it gets chillier than you would think when the sun goes down and you are sitting still (other than the shifting from cheek to cheek because of the sore tail). The jacket that I took got real thin about 9:30pm. I left the show at 10, and they were still pulling.
Had a good time though.

Back