• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Pulley size for a 551 on a 1811

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken You have me wondering if someone changed the gear box or pulley on my 551. I know the belt is the same on both throwers, I put what ever thrower on what ever tractor and they always work. The 551 will eat a higher drift that the 451, is the only difference. Put the 450 on the 2182 one Year and it will really throw snow. With the 551 on a 1811 I think you will develop strong arm muscles.
Ron

I thought it might be hard to steer also but its not bad. With snow on the ground. I won't notice it. But its nothing like your 82's with powersteering I'm sure. Thanks again

To add a new angle to this conversation,I have a 1782 with a 451 blower on it. I just feel that the speed of the blower is too slow(I want the auger and impeller to run faster) Power isn't an issue here so fire away with any suggestions remembering that belt length is not a problem,I can use a different length.

From what Ron has said in this post, you need to change to a larger pulley PTO clutch because you should have a 7in pulley on the blower and your gear box is the slower of the three blowers we talked about.

Jim/Ken
What thrower you will need depends on the serial no. of your 1782. The early 1782 had the smaller clutch, and the later 1782 had the bigger clutch.
an early 1782 should need an 450 thrower and the later 1782 should need the 451 or 551 thrower. (I used the word should because pulleys, clutches and gears get changed)
Like posted earlier you can put what ever thrower on what ever tractor as long as you use the right combination of; the clutch, pulley and gears in gear box to get the speed right.

Ron Found a local hardware store that had a 7in pulley for 8 dollars. I bought it and cut the hub out of my 9in 551 pulley on the lathe. Machined the 7in pulley to fit the hub and welded it on. I put it on tonight with a 4in shorter belt and it works fine. The belt looks like it lines up better than with the 9in pulley. So now for some snow to see how far I can throw it.

Ken

Ken W.
Lets see if you can beat my single stage! LOL
46843.jpg

Latest posts

Back