• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Pulley size for a 551 on a 1811

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwilliams

displayname
Kenneth Williams
I'm mounting a 551 two stage blower on my 1811 and was wondering if the pulley sizes on the blower and the tractor's PTO are correct?

Ken

Kenneth,
The 1811 takes a 450 blower.
The 551 usually goes on 1440,1641,1782,1861,1862,1863,1864,2082,2084 and 2182's.
The pulley size is the same though, 5/8" on both ends, but I dunno about the mounting and how much modifications you'll have to make.

You can put the 551 thrower on the 1811. One big problem??? the thrower will run too slow. Three solutions: change the electric clutch on the tractor: change shafts and gears in the throwers gear box; or change the pulley on the thrower. If you change the pulley on the thrower, I have not found a pulley small enough that will run the blower fast enough. If you are lucky enough to find a small enough pulley it will not half way line up with the other pulleys.
Good luck
Ron

What if I got the pulley for the blower from a 450. That should run the blower at the correct speed. I have it mounted and it fits fine. I need to make a bracket for the lift arm but thats no problem.

Ken

Kenneth
I'm pretty sure the pulley on a 450 and 551 are the same size. I know they are on the 450 and 451. The difference in ratio is in the gear box.

You will have to change the gears in the gear box to get the speed right. The gears and shafts that you will need cost about 225 dollars the last time I did it. A new gear box was 550 dollars.

Or you can change the clutch on the tractor to a newer larger diameter clutch, they are only 250 dollars new. That way your mower deck would run faster?

Ron

I stopped at a cub cadet dealer on the way home and looked up the pulleys to compare the sizes. The 450 uses a 7in pulley and my 551 has a 9in pulley. The 7in pulley would spin the blower faster. But I don't know if the 450 pulley will work on the 551. Does anyone know if they will. I like the idea about the new clutch I just don't have the money for it at this time. I think what I may do since I have a lathe is buy a cheap 7in pulley and cut the 9in pulley from its hub and weld the 7in one on it. I noticed something else tonight when I hooked up the lift bracket that my hydraulics seem to be having a problem lifting this big thing. Is the 450 lighter or is my hydraulic lift not working good.

I did but they didn't know and the parts diagrams did not show or give enough info on the 450 pulley to know if it would work on my 551. All it said was that the 450 pulley had a 7in diameter pulley. I seen a picture of one on ebay lastnight and it had a smaller pulley than my 551.

Ken
I measured the pulley on my 451 that is on the 2182 and it measured 7.195 on the out side. I have a 551 on my 1782 and it measured 7.252 on the out side. If I get time I will take the pulleys off and see if I can switch them?

I would think you will have to shim the idler pulleys If you put a 2 inch smaller pulley on gear box to keep the belt lined up?
Ron

Thanks Ron. The pulley size won't be a problem for alignment because I'll just buy a shorter belt. The thing that has me wondering is why my 551 has a 9in puley and yours has a 7.25in pulley. Does your 1782 have the small pulley on the clutch? I also will call the Cub Cadet dealer today and see if when ordering the pulley for my 551 it asked what tractor it is for. This may give me a clue why we have different pulley sizes for the same blower. Also could you give me the full model # and serial #.

Ken

Ken
Both the 2182 and 1782 have the bigger pulley on the clutch. I can not say for sure that a pulley or gear box was not changed on one of the throwers(I bought both new but anything can happen). Both throwers seem to run about the same speed. I'll try to measure the shaft sizes on both throwers and check speed this weekend on both.
When I was talking about pulley alignment I was talking about the two Idler Pulleys ( where the belt from the gear box goes down to and tuns 180 degrees back to the clutch The 551 is set up for large clutch Reduce The diameter by two inches on gear box pulley and take in acount the smaller clutch pulley and you might need to move those two pulleys together two inches? I would not thing a belt would stay on?

Ken
The more I thought about this?
I did a little looking at the pats catalogs and
450 Had 15 and 28 tooth gears (1811)
451 Had 12 and 31 tooth gears
551 Had 15 and 28 tooth gears (what you have)
Since the 551 and 450 have the same gear ratio
I would thing you could put a smaller pulley on the 551 and It would run at the right speed for the 1811?
Everything else seem to be the same?
I would cut the hub out of the 551 and get a 7 inch weld a pulley and weld it to the 551 hub.
What do you have to lose?
Ron

Yes Point well taken. I realized what you meant today and looked at the belt alignment with the smaller PTO pulley and it doesn't look to bad. I also looked at what would happen with the smaller blower pulley and that looks good also. The idler pulleys are rather wide. I've had it running with the belt thats on it now. I'll see what happens under load. There is plenty of room to move the pulleys if I have to. When you check your blowers this weekend can you figure out your gearbox ratio's by turning the the pulley one revolution and see howmuch the blower rotates. If the pulleys will interchange and my is different I should be ok. Thanks alot for your help Ron

These pulleys are the ones I was talking about that I thought would need aligning
46619.gif

Sorry you must have posted at the same time.
I'll check things this week end
Ron

That explains why my 551 has the bigger pulley to slow the blower down with the larger PTO pulley. Thanks again for the info. I feel much better about cutting the pulley I have now.

Ron Just had a thought that might answer the pulley interchange issue. Since it looks like you have parts manuals. Is the gearbox shaft part number for the pulley the same between the 551 and 450?

Ken
Give me enough time and the old brain will work.
I have a pulley off a 450 in the shop. It is the same pulley as a 451 pulley.
inside DIA. of the hub is 1.001 inches
Key way is .248 inches wide
Key way is .119 inches deep
hub is 1.354 inches wide
face of hub to face of pulley .775 inches on gear box side.
Hope this helps
The part no for the 450 and 551 are different
Ron

This is the 451 thrower on my 2182 Cub
The 1782 is at the other house about 60 miles away. I'll check the speed this weekend

Cadet
46622.jpg

Bummer The 551 I have has multiple splines not just a keyway. I'll be cuting the pulley. Don't worry about checking the other blower. Thanks again Ron you have been a big help.

Back