• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

proud new owner of a 74 129 K321

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Page

HELP! I've been trying to figure this out. As far I can tell by the serial number it appears its in the last batch production for this model. I can't find a hydrostatic transmission filter to fit!! I've tried everything but all recommended filters have a different thread pattern and nothing fits. What do I have here and how do I find something to work?? It also has a 14hp in it, not a 12hp??

Brian, WELCOME!

Did it have a filter on it? If so, did the filter that you removed have a brand name with a part number on it?

Forum sponsor CC Specialties sells the correct filter:

CC Specialties

Hydro Filter.JPG

Hey Brian - you've raised alot of questions in my mind besides why you're having trouble with the hydro filter.
Please provide us the serial number from the tag on the side of the frame (near your left ankle when you're sitting on the tractor). Also, as Kraig mentioned, give us any details of the filter that is/was originally on the tractor when you got it.
And give us the details of this K321 that's in the tractor - like the serial number on the engine tag.
Pics would be an ideal response for these details.

Hey Brian - you've raised alot of questions in my mind besides why you're having trouble with the hydro filter.
Please provide us the serial number from the tag on the side of the frame (near your left ankle when you're sitting on the tractor). Also, as Kraig mentioned, give us any details of the filter that is/was originally on the tractor when you got it.
And give us the details of this K321 that's in the tractor - like the serial number on the engine tag.

The engine serial # is 6112565, K321A, spec 60166d. The oil filter is Cub Cadet 723-3014 and the tractor # is 2050046U509229. Once I figure out how to put photos on this I can send those as well.. Thank you!!

Brian - well, the filter installed on your 129 when you purchased it was the correct filter, 723-3014. With that part number on the filter it had to be an old one. CC updated the part number to 923-3014 quite some time ago (I think at least 10 years or more). Charlie used to also sell a Fleetguard filter that was the same filter but apparently SOLD OUT and maybe they are now NLA.
Fleet guard HF6096Hydrostat Oil Filter Replaces PN/ 723-3014 USE 923-3014 SOLD OUT
Will fit 123-982, and some newer with the same style hydro
$0.00

I would definitely get the CC filter. Several years ago I did some searching and lots of companies had a cross-reference version BUT some weren't even the same size or most didn't even look the same.

Now, according to your tractor production tag the number "2050046" does identify it as a Model 129, the letter "U" indicates it was built in the USA, and the rest of the number "509229" indicates it was built in April 1974, which was the last year of production (ended Oct '74) for the 1x8/9 series.

You also said your engine has Spec No. 60166d. According to the Kohler manual the "60" in the Spec number is associated with a Model K321 which as you know is a 14hp engine. The manual also notes Serial No. 6112565 was built in 1974 (and likely very early 1974 since the first 2 digits could range from 60-69 to be 1974 production).

It does seem odd to me that your 129 would have a 14hp engine produced in 1974 which is the same year of the tractor production. I'd sure like to see a pic of your engine. Generally a replacement engine would be painted black.

Wow, lots of information. I'm going to try to send some pics. You'll see that different horsepower listed on the upper and side cowlings. Also have the tag of where it was purchased

Attachments

• cub cadet engine.jpg
    cub cadet engine.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 284
  • cub cadet purchase tag.jpg
    cub cadet purchase tag.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 295
  • cub cadet serial #.jpg
    cub cadet serial #.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 281
  • cub cadet side cowling.jpg
    cub cadet side cowling.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 313
  • cub cadet upper cowling.jpg
    cub cadet upper cowling.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 495
Maybe The Engine Has Been Replaced? My 147 Has An Engine Out Of A 149, So I could See That Being The Cause.
Maybe just the tin shroud was changed? Maybe just decal? The main cooling air shroud is one piece, and as per pictures, has both stickers on it, the 12HP on the top, and the K321 with engine serial number on the side. (for sure, ONE of those has to be wrong) I am not sure what the exterior differences are between the 12 and 14, could the engine be a hodgepodge mix of parts? Maybe cooling tin and ?flywheel? replaced, PO added the 12HP label to mark what he actually had? Hard to tell from pictures, but the 12HP sticker looks like it *might* be newer.

Brian - well you got a stumper for us with the engine. The tag stating it's a K321 (which means it's 14hp) certainly looks original to me and so does the tag stating 12hp. Both of these are on the flywheel shroud. I'm wondering if somehow during production assembly they installed a K321 (14hp) engine and also placed the 12hp tag on the top of the shroud.

One thing you could look at is the carb. Remove the air cleaner cover and open the choke butterfly, then have a look thru the hole at the inside top of the carb casting. You should either see the number 30 (meaning it's sized for 14hp) or you will see number 26 (meaning it's sized for 12hp). This is the best I can think of without removing the head and measuring the bore.

(Hey Redneckracers11 - my point about the engine in the earlier post was that it sure seems odd to have a 14hp engine that was produced roughly the same time the tractor was produced. It seems now the tractor could have been built with the 14hp if it is in fact a 14hp).

Last edited:
Brian - well you got a stumper for us with the engine. The tag stating it's a K321 (which means it's 14hp) certainly looks original to me and so does the tag stating 12hp. Both of these are on the flywheel shroud. I'm wondering if somehow during production assembly they installed a K321 (14hp) engine and also placed the 12hp tag on the top of the shroud.

One thing you could look at is the carb. Remove the air cleaner cover and open the choke butterfly, then have a look thru the hole at the inside top of the carb casting. You should either see the number 30 (meaning it's sized for 14hp) or you will see number 26 (meaning it's sized for 12hp). This is the best I can think of without removing the head and measuring the bore.

(Hey Redneckracers11 - my point about the engine in the earlier post was that it sure seems odd to have a 14hp engine that was produced roughly the same time the tractor was produced. It seems now the tractor could have been built with the 14hp if it is in fact a 14hp).
I did pull the head, it's the same size as the 14 horsepower on my Powering. Still stumped on how to find a filter that fits. Thanks so much for all of your knowledge and responses!!

Brian - hmmmmmm - I have no idea what the bore size is on your Powering (what ever that is). The bore size for a Kohler K321 series 14hp engine is 3.50 inch. The bore for a 12hp is 3.375 inch (which is a K301).

Now, I'd still like to know which carb you have, Number 30 or 26.

Still don't understand you not being able to find a filter that fits. The Cub Cadet filter #923-3014 is available from Charlie at CC Specialties which is linked in the boxes at the top of this page. You should also be able to get this filter at a local Cub Cadet dealer. I've never tried the other filters mentioned by Matt G (in the message above) but obviously the NAPA filter would be available at the NAPA store. I believe it's actually part no. FIL 1410. Not sure where you would find the WIX in your area. I believe some NAPA stores sell WIX (and WIX makes some of the NAPA filters).

Sure hope this info helps you.

The 14hp should have a larger flywheel than the 12hp. In this photo, it looks like the 12hp sized flywheel shroud.

cub-cadet-upper-cowling-jpg.139082

Kraig - good catch there. Yes, the 14hp should have a larger flywheel and shroud. Now you got me wondering if Kohler might have put the wrong tag on the shroud but IH built the tractor as a 12hp.

Really hoping Brian will tell us which carb (#30 or #26) is on the engine, and maybe even give us the piston diameter measurement.

Back