• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Project 100 rejuvenation

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty-

I have a recipe on file at my local hardware store. I took a small piece from a tractor and they computer matched it. It had to be tweeked a bit but is a very close match for the IH yellow. They sell Valspar and it has always done a good job for me. The hardener is what has gone through the roof pricewise. It's about $16 for that little can (half pint?).

What's the story with your 100??? We're still waiting...

Wayne,

You have a very nice hardware store. Around here, they are not as nice.

As you know, it has been too hot and humid to fool with the 100. I have been extra busy with other things also, including the flooding in my basement, and installing a water treatment system.
If it will ever cool down, I will get the 100 going.

Marty-

It's Fitch Lumber Co. located here in Carrboro. It's been here since Moby Dick was a minnow and is now an Ace hardware with the same name. It has a reputation of being a little pricey but the paint I use is only about $18/quart.

Hey Marty - understood on the paint. I prefer the IronGuard myself and it is readily available.

Tim,

Looking for those pics!

If I can paint without any runs, or at least only a couple, I usually put on around four or five coats.
What ever it takes to get that deep shine.

If I get in a hurry and create runs, I let it dry, sand down the runs, and put another good coat on.
Being patient with painting is something very hard for me to do.

As for the paint, I normally use around three quarts of federal yellow, and one quart of white.
I know this is an old thread but I am a new guy and getting ready to strip down and paint my first tractor a 70. I am very much interested in your process, you state you do 4-5 coats how much time elapses between coats? Thanks!

Short version:
1- Sandblast/sand the parts.
2- while using disposable latex gloves, (to prevent any oil from your skin getting on the raw metal) wipe off any dust with a tack cloth and hang up parts to be primed.
3- prime parts and continue using clean latex gloves through the whole process
4- after parts dry for a day or two, sand them down with scotchbrite and tack cloth again. You can remove any runs in the primer during this step.
Now you are ready to paint.
I try to have several parts ready to paint, unless I am painting a large piece like the frame. By the time you paint all the parts, the first part will be "tacky," and can take another light coat.

This old thread has been a good one. The correct police-purists- we all want our tractors to be the best we can do with our resources and time but they are only new once. I really want to get my 70 done and was going to go to one of my originals but after this thread I might start on my round fender 100.

Attachments

• CFBC4107-22DE-42D7-9CAE-9AFAADC7438D.jpeg
    CFBC4107-22DE-42D7-9CAE-9AFAADC7438D.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 114
  • 776B927C-49AC-4E75-854D-899D66AEBE41.jpeg
    776B927C-49AC-4E75-854D-899D66AEBE41.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 34E8F820-F754-40EB-9EC4-85A2B1612DF5.jpeg
    34E8F820-F754-40EB-9EC4-85A2B1612DF5.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 113
If that is an old padded cover on a metal pan seat, I would take it off. The padding will soak up rain and rust out that pan seat real quick!
I see some lights! Nice.

I’m not sure on the seat. I actually haven’t even went and got or seen the tractor yet. And this is how he found it. I have a guy who finds them for me and sends me pictures. He has found me 4 tractors so far. This one , my first O a 125? And a 147. And it’s a 8 hour drive 1 way so I’m waiting for a little better weather.

Attachments

• 69F1E6D3-C3B7-4B21-AF76-DEE809D0B89B.jpeg
    69F1E6D3-C3B7-4B21-AF76-DEE809D0B89B.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 115
  • B27F2681-9739-4522-885F-B24B20DC2CF9.jpeg
    B27F2681-9739-4522-885F-B24B20DC2CF9.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 108
Have a look around when you go get it as it looks like it had a snowthrower on it once upon a time.

Back