• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Problem with Kohler Command oil fill cap not tightening

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfoster

displayname
David Foster
I have a 2006 GT2542 with Kohler Command engine. Has been a good tractor but I’m having a 2nd issue dealing with oil fill cap not fitting properly into the valve cover. Cap does not tighten securely. I had to replace the fuel pump valve cover and oil fill cap approximately 7 years ago at parts cost exceeding $100. Now, I’m having same problem. Dealer tells me this is common problem on the 18-22 hp Command series. Wondering if I could simply clean the oil fill cap, the valve cover port where cap fits and apply silicone gasket caulk to both surfaces to permanently close that cap? I would then use the dipstick hole to insert my oil into engine. Has anyone done this? And, what problems do you think would be if I did this?

I have had several of these engines and have never experienced this problem. Are the threads stripped? Is the O-ring still intact? If both of those things are ok it should tighten up fine.

I would fix it right. The first time you try to put in oil through the dipstick tube you will wish you did it right. It'd be like pouring molasses through a straw...

Back