• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Problem starting

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arleen W.

Just trying to start her up after not running all winter. Has battery installed May 2019, checked and added small amount of oil, has half tank of gas, ran trickle charger overnight. It tried to start but would not catch and run. Took off air filter cover and sprayed carb cleaner with no success. Put back on trickle charger (only 1.5 amp) for now. That's the limit of my mechanical knowledge and abilities! Any suggestions need to be explicit and "for dummies".

Does it have spark? Fuel and fire are the two things you need to have first and foremost. A cheap inline spark tester will tell you if there's fire or you can take out the spark plug and touch it to a good ground (while plugged in to the spark plug wire) and crank it over, watching for a spark.
Im this situation I would suspect one of two things. First is the carb is gunked up and no fuel is getting to the engine. Since it wouldn't start with carb cleaner (try ether instead, some carb cleaners aren't flammable so check the can). I would suspect that the points need cleaning, hence no spark or a very weak spark. It may not even have points, and in that case it's probably a fuel problem. If it does have points then I suggest you go to youtube and watch the guy isavetractors video on cleaning and adjusting points.

Just trying to start her up after not running all winter. Has battery installed May 2019, checked and added small amount of oil, has half tank of gas, ran trickle charger overnight. It tried to start but would not catch and run. Took off air filter cover and sprayed carb cleaner with no success. Put back on trickle charger (only 1.5 amp) for now. That's the limit of my mechanical knowledge and abilities! Any suggestions need to be explicit and "for dummies".
I hate to be a spoil sport here, but it sure would be nice if you had taken the time to at least tell everyone what machine we're supposed to help you fix! Just sayin! :eek:

Charlie, she has a 2164. Check out her post in the Introductions section. :)

Sorry if I have upset anyone out there. I have never posted anything anywhere before, don't really know how to get around the site even. I trickle charged her again last night and this morning had a full charge. Started her up but she quit right away, then would only try to start. Thank you Captain Shwammy for your suggestions, but I think I will Try to find someone local that might come and have a look for me. Thank you all for your good intentions, but I don't have the physical abilities to do more on my own. Wishing you all a wonderful lives.

Sorry if I have upset anyone out there. I have never posted anything anywhere before, don't really know how to get around the site even. I trickle charged her again last night and this morning had a full charge. Started her up but she quit right away, then would only try to start. Thank you Captain Shwammy for your suggestions, but I think I will Try to find someone local that might come and have a look for me. Thank you all for your good intentions, but I don't have the physical abilities to do more on my own. Wishing you all a wonderful lives.
No one is or was upset! It's just nice to know the facts before anyone goes typing away about something we know nothing about. Make it easy for us and we can maybe make it easy for you. Most every model tractor can have different options for handling different things. Just sayin. (y)

It started! Eureka! Excellent! It just needs the carb cleaned to stay running, thats all. Consider it fixed young lady! Well done! If I had it I would try to keep it running with starting fluid (don't overdo it) and many times that alone will allow it to pull the trash out of the carb and run on it's own.

Back