• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Pre paint prep

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often repaint a riding mower as part of refurb...The last 2 yrs I've been using Rustoleum "farm and implement paint" with extremely good results. This is rattle can but in IMHO it doesn't compare to reg rustoleum..Locally it cost almost twice as much(around 10 per can but is far superior.It's available in limited colors of most tractors.Of course surface prep matters but after a dozen or so looking like new I'm convinced.For me to mix a pint for 1 mower is very impractical.I'm using rusty primer also...It doesn't come in cub yellow but it does do Int. red very well....Spend 20 and try something you don't treasure to find out...

Looked into the epoxy primers, sealers, and automotive grade paints for a Wheelhorse Im restoring.

For me, the cost for what it is being applied to is simply not worth it, especially if you need /want multiple colors.

Would be almost the same cost to tear down complete, send out to sand blast and powder coat as just purchasing the top of the line modern paints, primers, and proper ventilation.

Oh and if you dont also happen to legit spray booth, and a high end spray gun, you’ll be wet sanding and buffing the bugs and orange peel out of the finish anyways.

And for me their is also the hassle of availability, most paint shops have bankers hours around here. Noon to 3 on days with a T.

If your doing multiple pieces of equipment, with the same color scheme, then maybe.

Car restoration - makes more sense, as there will be some value in the end product to the outside world. (Even then unless your a known builder, you’ll almost never recover the costs)

Buy an old garden tractor for couple hundred, spend countless hours restoring it, making mechanical repairs, etc… then take all those costs and double them for the best paint, and your in 5k for something that you’d be lucky to get 1k for. But to the outside world, that old garden tractor will always be just that - well really wont even be that. Will be a riding mower.

2 cents.

My 2 cents.....
Paint is $37/QT(IH Federal Yellow), a Hazard Freight HVLP spray gun is $17, yes you will need primer, thinner, hardener & a few more supplies. That is probably somewhere in the $150 to $200 range I'm thinking. The results will be 10X better than a rattle can resto and hold up better.........that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Back