• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Pre paint prep

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsdeese

displayname
timothy deese
What do some of y’all do to prepare bare metal parts for paint?

Some sort of phosphoric acid treatment such as RM-801 prior to primer will help get any last little remaining bits of rust out and make a good surface for the primer to stick to.

Wipe parts with a cleaner such as Prep-sol, then wipe dry and scuff with 220 or finer.. Blow off and wipe clean with a tack cloth then prime.. Do not use Rustoleam as it is not compatible with other paints..

And never put epoxy on top of phosphoric acid etch. Not compatible. Big No No. Both are excellent. Epoxy nice cause you can paint right over. Phosphoric etch primer needs Primer surfacer on top. Can not put paint on etch.

31025D51-4CC7-48C1-B0D3-7C67D26B53C7.jpeg

I also use this after muddling panels that need to be straight again. Sprayable mud. Just need BIG tip spray gun

Attachments

• E19E42F5-AF3E-48B4-AF11-3C29E3FBC195.jpeg
    E19E42F5-AF3E-48B4-AF11-3C29E3FBC195.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 330
Just my opinion...........

Not to doubt any of you guys, and your procedures. If you want to spend all that extra money and time go right ahead, but ya'll are making it too complicated.
Sandblast each part down to the bare metal (where applicable), wipe it clean with a tack cloth while using latex gloves to keep your greasy hands from leaving any oil deposits on the parts, and then spray some good primer on it.
Sand it smooth, wipe with tack cloth again using gloves, and then paint.

I have painted five tractors, and two turning plows. The paint on every one is holding up great.
As Charlie once told me, "for crying out loud it's only a garden tractor!!!!"

Kevin Hill,
Can you elaborate on why Rustoleum is not compatible with other paints?
I have been using Rustoleum grey auto primer for several years, and have had no issues.

paint 1.jpg

Not sure about using it with other paints. I see no need to stray from the original.

paint.jpg

That’s the primer I was going to use Marty I was also wondering why it wasn’t compatible.

Rustoleum is linseed oil based paint.. Not compatible with other paints as they are urethane enamel and have a differant chemical composition.. I have had problems with it wrinkling and fisheyeing when you try to spray enamel over it..

Back