• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Portable generator input.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Looking into getting one to run power tools and a cement mixer.
Any of you fellows have one and could offer some advise?
I see all kinds and prices on f/book and C/L but haven't a clue as to which would be better than another.
Thanks!

A suitcase style might work. Honda, Yamaha etc. check your wattage requirements. I use mine to throw in the EZGO mpt to run a pump to drain stock tanks and run the sds hammer drill to poke holes in rocks for t posts.

I need one that will run an air compressor and an electric hammer drill as well as a cement mixer.
I have some old tombstones to remove and replace w/new ones for my Grandparents.
The compressor is a 110 portable.

Friend of mine has a 3000 watt unit but says it will not start an air compressor once it is under pressure.
Will start it when the tank is empty but when it has run down to the point to restart on it's own, it's a no go.

Plan on drilling holes in the stone then using the shop air impact hammer/chisel to break pieces off. Not a granite stone though, it's an old soft one that is badly deteriorating to the point it's getting really hard to read.

Air compressor would be tough. I have a truck mount Jenny 30 Gallon 11hp unit and it won’t start well with full tank. I’ll open the outlet valve to restart it and close it when running. This is only needed if I shut engine off to take a call or runs out of gas. Look at the motor starting watts needed and then decide. If you’re not on the cheap buy a truck mount welder

You might want to consider a gas engine air compressor, which would probably lower the cost of the generator significantly, possibly enough to cover the cost of the compressor.

David,

I bought a 5500 watt generator at Northern Tool (NorthStar brand), and it does real well. It has a Honda 11 hp engine and always cranks on the first or second pull.
I can run my well pump or my water heater, which both are 230V. On the 120V side, I can run my freezer, refrigerator, some lights, and my computer.
The Honda brand generators are real nice, but are more pricey. I have had mine for several years, and am well pleased. I paid around $1,100 for it.

Just looked it up, and the closest one to what I have is $1,450.

Last edited:
I’ve had this champion dual fuel for a few years but haven’t had to use it. Probably a low end unit as it was $650 from Big R. It’s around for if we lose power to our freezers for a lengthy period. I had a nice winco pto genny disappear from our remote livestock well shed one winter. That would run anything, and not very expensive. Gas compressor like mine is very handy, low maintenance, reliable, and made in USA.

Attachments

• 0B7F495C-63F7-4FBC-AD73-9430991B592A.jpeg
    0B7F495C-63F7-4FBC-AD73-9430991B592A.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 408
Motor starting amps are 5 to 6 times running amps. Electric compressor starts tend to be a second or three longer and can really bog a generator to the point of overload trip on the motor. Look into sizing a generator vs motor Hp draw and the generator's duty rating. The more expensive ones will have a duty rating for sustained higher loads that can get you over the hump for motor starts without necessarily needing more expensive higher wattage The Honda's I've looked at have very good performance and protections copied by others but are very quiet. Then there's Harbor Freight.

Probably around 8000 starting watts is a good generator. Also electric start is a good thing. If your compressor is 240 volts would be a plus.

The compressor is 110 from Menards.
Got it on my neighbors auction, it had seen near zero use.
Perhaps I should look into renting one for a day or two, but it would be nice to have one around just in case.
Thanks for the replies!, Much appreciated!

David,

Is your compressor a "pancake" compressor? Mine is like this, and the gen. runs it fine.
pancake.jpg

The main reason I bought mine is power outages. It's no fun to not have water and power, especially when it is like it is now; HOT & HUMID!
It was a hot and humid summer day when I bought my gen.
The hot weather put a strain on the power grid in this area, and caused an equipment failure in a substation. The power was out for about three days.
I was sitting at home burning up, along with my food.
I got to thinking, I am going to get a generator if the only thing it will run is some AC. I am going to get cool if it is the last thing I do!
Long story short, I got the generator, plugged up the freezer, fridge, well pump for a cool bath, then the AC.
In the winter outages I have the wood stove, so I use the gen. for my well pump, water heater, appliances, lights, TV, and computer.

As for the electric start, I do not use mine because it almost always starts on the first pull, and definitely by the second. It pulls easily, and I do not have to keep a battery on it. That Honda engine is real nice!

Here's a generator I assembled in the mid-1970's. Consists of a 2500 watt Pincor generator coupled to a Briggs model 14FB engine. Lots of iron here, both in the generator and engine. This machine has gotten us through many power failures, the biggest when we lived in the Carolina's when hurricane Hugo came through. We were without power for about 10 days and this machine performed flawlessly, giving us lights at night and most importantly, hot coffee in the morning. I still have it and it always starts and runs perfectly. Tank is always drained after use and carburetor run dry - very important.
gen3.JPG
gen 2.JPG

This is What I have.
I'll have the camper out soon and will have to try it with the genny on it.
It's an Onan 2500 and runs the A/C ok on the camper.
But, I'm not sure if I can get the camper near where I have to work on account of low hanging trees.

Attachments

• DSCN7980.JPG
    DSCN7980.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN7981.JPG
    DSCN7981.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 410
Look into sizing a generator vs motor Hp draw and the generator's duty rating.

I doubt the Onan will handle your 1.2 Hp rated compressor.. You gotta remember inductive loads are far different from resistive, i.e. pump or compressor motors put a much higher load on than lights, heaters, or a coffee pot.

I borrowed a friend's well used 3kW Honda for my portable compressor rated at 1.4 kW; just about a 1 Hp at 14 amps. Perhaps the engine was tired, but it labored starting the compressor with empty tanks, and would trip the breaker cycling on the pressure switch; the inrush was almost too much for it. To finish the job I bled air to keep the compressor running and not shutting off on the pressure switch. Once it was up and running, the generator did okay but the starts were murder on it. As a comparison; on utility/house power the compressor starts, cycles, etc likity split.

Install an ac compressor and bumper tank on one of the zillion cubs you have! Run it off the pto pulley :greenthumb:

I just picked up a bigger Generator this past Friday from Costco. It's a brand I am unfamiliar with but it had some good reviews. I've not had the "opportunity" to give it a real load just yet, but I plan to try out my welder on it (Miller Multimatic 211) sometime soon here. The welder was a little too much for the smaller inverter style generator that I have.

The inverter is a lot quieter, but does not have 240v that I would need for my well pump either. So far I have only run off gasoline but I do plan to try out propane here just to be sure I am familiar with it before I NEED to use it. We don't have an exterior natural gas line, but that will be in the plans for the pole shed we are planning to build in the next couple of years.

https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com/shop/t07571/
https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100648883.html
I should add that my local Costco (Coon Rapids, MN) had the generator for $100 less than the current costco.com price, I got it for $600. It is also very heavy, you will likely want some help getting it on the cart and then into your car!

David,

Is your compressor a "pancake" compressor? Mine is like this, and the gen. runs it fine.
View attachment 139310

The main reason I bought mine is power outages. It's no fun to not have water and power, especially when it is like it is now; HOT & HUMID!
It was a hot and humid summer day when I bought my gen.
The hot weather put a strain on the power grid in this area, and caused an equipment failure in a substation. The power was out for about three days.
I was sitting at home burning up, along with my food.
I got to thinking, I am going to get a generator if the only thing it will run is some AC. I am going to get cool if it is the last thing I do!
Long story short, I got the generator, plugged up the freezer, fridge, well pump for a cool bath, then the AC.
In the winter outages I have the wood stove, so I use the gen. for my well pump, water heater, appliances, lights, TV, and computer.

As for the electric start, I do not use mine because it almost always starts on the first pull, and definitely by the second. It pulls easily, and I do not have to keep a battery on it. That Honda engine is real nice!

Do you have a transfer switch to hook the genny up to the well, AC, etc. ?

Latest posts

Back