• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Points cleaning?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John mitchell

Hey there y’all. It’s been a while since I’ve been here. Without going into specifics, life has taken me away from messing with my 126 Cub Cadet that is set up solely for pushing snow. I’ll get right to my question. Is it common to have to clean the ignition points contacts every year or so. All the ignition components are genuine Kohler or Bosch in case of the 3ohm Blue coil All are virtually unused, with maybe 10 hrs useage pushiing snow and pulling a # 2 garden cart. It sits with treated fuel, on a solar battery tender and is generally started a few times a year and run wide open for a few just because it seems like a good idea. Last year or the year before I had to run a points file between the contacts to clean a little chalky looking material off the faces of the contacts. It fired right up after that cleaning. I went to start it about a month ago and it would not light off. I’m guessing that the points are chalked up again. Do any of you folks find that you have to clean up the points on occasion?
Thanks
John Mitchell
Cecilia. Ky.

Hey there y’all. It’s been a while since I’ve been here. Without going into specifics, life has taken me away from messing with my 126 Cub Cadet that is set up solely for pushing snow. I’ll get right to my question. Is it common to have to clean the ignition points contacts every year or so. All the ignition components are genuine Kohler or Bosch in case of the 3ohm Blue coil All are virtually unused, with maybe 10 hrs useage pushiing snow and pulling a # 2 garden cart. It sits with treated fuel, on a solar battery tender and is generally started a few times a year and run wide open for a few just because it seems like a good idea. Last year or the year before I had to run a points file between the contacts to clean a little chalky looking material off the faces of the contacts. It fired right up after that cleaning. I went to start it about a month ago and it would not light off. I’m guessing that the points are chalked up again. Do any of you folks find that you have to clean up the points on occasion?
Thanks
John Mitchell
Cecilia. Ky.
Only if they are burnt down. Best to replace them and be done with it for another 10+ years.

what's the storage area like? in a garage? outside? do you know if the little grommet is on the cover to help seal the points from the elements around it?

John, years ago legend had it that some guys were going to look at advertised non-running tractors, buying them, cleaning the points with dollar bills, and driving them onto the trailers in front of the sellers. Common problem if not stored in climate controlled conditions. Cover gasket and grommet condition would go right along with that.

cleaning the points with dollar bills,

That's the best advice ever. A file is only to get you by if they're pitted/corroded.

I have the same problem with a Farmall. The old points never gave me a problem until the block got too worn. The new points get an oxide after a winter's hibernation in the barn. I take a Post-It note folded in 1/2 or 3rds and pull it through closed points. There's usually a brownish smudge on the paper. After that she fires right up. Unless the points are in a hermetic seal, there's no stopping the oxide though a controlled climate as a heated garage will help.

John, Yes I would check the points cover gasket and make shure it is good.. Also if it has that little rubber block on the bottom where the wire passes thru.. And yes if you have a points file maybe clean them up one more time.. But also keep in mind that if they are fairly new points they are not like the old points we remember.. The contacts on points used to be solid tungsten but with very low demand for points and the high cost of tungsten, points made today are coated tungsten so be careful how much you remove...

All good replies fellas. I bought the 126 several years ago. It had paper work to support the claim of then recent engine work at a old Farmall IH Cub Cadet dealership. I appreciated that. and started my mechanical rehab of things I hoped to never have to replace again. During all the work and parts buying I bought a new points cover and gasket, plus OEM points and condenser, along with a 3ohm Bosch Blue coil. I decided that I was going to go ahead with a new heavy duty OEM style of wiring harness. It turned out great. I have it equipped to push snow, and it does a remarkable job. My building is a unleaded metal pole construction shop. No insulation. I’m sure the condensation is the culprit on the points chalking up. I’ll do the post it note paper deal instead of the points file and get back to this thread. I appreciate all your help and responses.
John Mitchell
Cecilia ky

I have a metel post frame building with foam board under the steel roof. Lot of time the ground moisture in worse in there than outside but no dripping. On the other hand an old cast iron 10 hp B&S on a wood splitter in either outside on in an open side building. Has a plastic tub that is over the engine all the time. It will start first pull 99.9% of the time. The cover and grommet are sealed good with extra sealer. From that I feel it is the seal at the points is what is really important.

If the machine sits in a shady famous area. Like a shed with no floor, you may see your issue. When you left the hood, is the engine bay almost dark with mold?

If the machine sits in a shady famous area. Like a shed with no floor, you may see your issue. When you left the hood, is the engine bay almost dark with mold?
Thanks
John Mitchell
Cecilia. Ky.
A crisp new dollar bill works well.

I rarely have to rework or clean or replace points on my 106. Having to guess but has probably been 5+ years since last I changed them or spark plug. However it gets used 1-2 time a week in summer & started & run in place once a month in winter. I let it run for long enough to top off the gas tank with at least 1/2 gallon of fresh gasoline. Also it is stored inside a garage that is kept to at least 50*F in winter.

Nothing against Dave Kirks point saver as i have it on my 70, but that tractor is stored in a tin shed with dirt floor
and I have to clean the points every time it sits more than a week or two.

This 100 bought back around 2000 has never had the points changed, I think they were cleaned around 2010 and it still fires off today.
1639774237069.png

1639774264254.png

I ran across two of those points cover grommets tonight while I was looking for something else.

4BB85F9B-597D-4B4E-B69F-3282607BE94D.jpeg

Back