• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Plowing tomorrow

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aknepel

displayname
Allan Knepel
I have a 782 I screwed around a little bit in the garden to set up my plow. I filled the tires and put weights on I have 300 pounds back there so I should hook up great. Made a weight bar up front. Now I’ve always heard bad things about running those kohler engines on a angle. Would anyone recommend adding more oil like a half a quart so I do not starve the engine in the furrow?

Just make sure it's full. It'll be fine.The oil pickup for them is right in the middle of the engine, and the oil sump is long and rectangular, so it's more likely that you'd starve it for oil going up and down a hill vs on a side hill.

I've never fully bought into the whole "running on a sidehill kills them" theory. It probably doesn't help them, but as long as the oil pickup can stay covered in oil, which it should be as long as you aren't doing anything crazy, you should be fine.

Just make sure it's full. It'll be fine.The oil pickup for them is right in the middle of the engine, and the oil sump is long and rectangular, so it's more likely that you'd starve it for oil going up and down a hill vs on a side hill.

I've never fully bought into the whole "running on a sidehill kills them" theory. It probably doesn't help them, but as long as the oil pickup can stay covered in oil, which it should be as long as you aren't doing anything crazy, you should be fine.

My guess is that in a furrow, you should be ok. Mowing a ditch is where the problem is. Dad lost the KT17 in his 782 mowing the ditch in front of the house. But it's a "state ditch" that's about 6 feet deep and 15 feet wide, so fairly steep. He lost the right cylinder coming out of the ditch. That 782 now has a Mag18 in it, that was bought new off the shelf. I know he still mows the ditch, but I think he uses one of his quietlines, just in case.....

The plowing went great today no problems with the engine. Somehow or another I need to hang some more weight on the back I have filled tires and 75 pound weights but I need to hang one more on the left side somehow. the ground was really packed down from a 10 row chopper I still had to sit up on the corner of the seat. My 50 pound weight bar in the front kept the front end down. By Next year I should really have it dialed in

My guess is that in a furrow, you should be ok. Mowing a ditch is where the problem is. Dad lost the KT17 in his 782 mowing the ditch in front of the house. But it's a "state ditch" that's about 6 feet deep and 15 feet wide, so fairly steep. He lost the right cylinder coming out of the ditch. That 782 now has a Mag18 in it, that was bought new off the shelf. I know he still mows the ditch, but I think he uses one of his quietlines, just in case.....
Oiling system in the m18 is identical to the kt-17 series 2. But it’s definitely different than the series 1. Coming up a steep hill with slightly underfilled oil is one of the things I could see causing problems with the design.

Latest posts

Back