• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Plan ol' gas cap for 1450 plastic tank

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkwilliams

displayname
Kent Williams
Does anyone have a part number for an "official" or aftermarket plain-Jane plastic fuel tank cap that will fit the plastic tank on a 1450 tractor? I went down the road of getting a more expensive cap with the gauge built in. It does not screw on as easily as I think it should, and the gauge itself doesn't work right. But according to all sources I've looked at, it is the right one. I have no problem at all unscrewing my gas cap and looking into the tank to see if I need to add more gas. I just want something that fits and screws on easilie (ie, it has the right thread pattern).

Does anyone have a part number for an "official" or aftermarket plain-Jane plastic fuel tank cap that will fit the plastic tank on a 1450 tractor? I went down the road of getting a more expensive cap with the gauge built in. It does not screw on as easily as I think it should, and the gauge itself doesn't work right. But according to all sources I've looked at, it is the right one. I have no problem at all unscrewing my gas cap and looking into the tank to see if I need to add more gas. I just want something that fits and screws on easilie (ie, it has the right thread pattern).
There's 2 caps for plastic tanks.
One small hole which is no longer available any more.
And the large hole version which is still available,
1630342742601.png

I was excited to see this thread as I have to use a pair of channel locks to get my cap on and off, it has the small hole, and it always weeps gas when running. The weep comes from the underside of the cap, not out the hole. Is that normal? I have replaced the rubber gasket but left the fiber disk in place.

My diameter measure of inlet on tank is about 1.75" to the outside of threads. My understanding is that International used tanks with smaller inlet on some 1450s and larger inlets on later models...or vice versa. There are only a few rows of threads exposed on my tank, and it's kind of hard to measure pitch. If I had to guess, I would say pitch is around 8 tpi.

You'd think that something as simple as a gas tank cap would be easy to identify, but it's not. If you go looking online, the diameters are often not shown and I've never seen thread addressed. If one isn't careful, the result is a drawer full of gas caps none of which fits quite right. Most caps say something on packaging like, "Fits B&H 5-8 hp engines." That, of course, isn't helpful to us.

Last edited:
It depends on your serial number. Gauge type cap IH-61635-C3 was used on tractors with Serial No. 560209 & below. IH-109037-C1 was used on tractors with Serial No. 560210 & above. They are quite different.

This is what I'm talking about.
arnold134.jpg
This cap is cheap, and it says it is 1-3/4" diameter. But does that mean that the cap is 1-3/4" in diameter and it fits a filler neck that might be 1-1/2" across. Or is the cap supposed to fit a 1-3/4" filler neck? It's frustrating, and as I said in previous posting it doesn't take long to end up with a pile of caps that are wrong.

It depends on your serial number. Gauge type cap IH-61635-C3 was used on tractors with Serial No. 560209 & below. IH-109037-C1 was used on tractors with Serial No. 560210 & above. They are quite different.
My serial # is 538476. That must be the smaller filler neck version. As best I can tell, outside measure of threads is 1.75". I haven't had to resort to channel lock pliers to get mine off yet, but it comes close. I just want a simple cap, no gauge, that my older and somewhat arthritic hands can turn off and on without much difficulty...and it doesn't leak. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask. I mean this is about the most common thing we have to do to these tractors, right? Add gas to the tank.

I just want something that fits and screws on easilie

Boy howdie. I ran into this this summer. My 1st mistake was assuming one cap for most Cubs. My 1st purchase was too big, so I ate that one and is in spare parts. When I found the S/N connection, the 2nd was the correct one. However, it still didn't fit; it only screwed maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. So get out the calipers. The new one was .010" smaller compared to the original. I contacted the vendor, and after a few emails with pictures and measurements, etc., he sent another. That one was spot on easy peasy. So the take here is the QA in manufacturing can be dodgy.

Back