• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

pins & needles

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I like the full explanation of his build and the sourcing of the parts, I would combine the idea with the build in the post that John G. linked to in order to eliminate the rag joint style flex couplings altogether. I don't know how much movement the square sliding coupling has and would prefer a splined type of coupling to reduce vibration as the tolerances are tighter.
I'm sure a smaller version of one like those found on driveshafts of a car or truck can be found. I thought I noticed ones that might work for this app used on the steering shafts of some cars and trucks. A trip to the junkyard and a little machining and it's a build.

One thing to keep in mind is that the driveshaft in a Cub Cadet spins at around 3600 RPM, which is quite a bit faster than a steering shaft. Make sure that whatever u-joint you use is capable of that.

One thing to keep in mind is that the driveshaft in a Cub Cadet spins at around 3600 RPM, which is quite a bit faster than a steering shaft. Make sure that whatever u-joint you use is capable of that.

Yep! Which also means it needs to be well-balanced and have near zero runout. These are not requirements for a steering shaft...

This problem has already been solved...there is no need to reinvent the wheel. 'Cyclops' CV joint driveshaft or 2000/3000 series is much easier to adapt and will be reliable.

Back